Smaller Kurt Vises Are So Expensive!

Way to go! Keep it up, keep changing directions. The ram has been stuck for who knows how many years. If it takes you a few days of messing with it to make it right, so what?

Edit: Not enough penetrating oil running down the sides... 8^)

I admit- I forgot to use penetrating oil on that first pic. I did spray it on (plenty enough to run down the sides!) after the picture though and surprisingly the ram slide right off. I took the head off and pounded on the front of the ram casting with a rubber mallet to move it that first .250. From there it was indeed smooth sailing.

Head removed in order to access front of ram for pounding:
IMG_7861_zpsrskk7okf.jpg

The ram ways were degreased, cleaned, and oiled with way oil:
IMG_7865_zpsng5scb80.jpg

The top of the turret ways had some very slight surface rust (oddly, the ram ways did not) so I stoned them with a very fine ceramic stone after degrease and clean:
IMG_7867_zpsb4qws92u.jpg

The ram went back on and a reminder was set on my calendar for 6 months from now to move and oil it. While the head was off, I did take the opportunity to move the mill back into the corner a bit more. I set the mill such that the ram was buried into the corner when positioned all the way back. I figure this should give me slightly more room in the shop, and I'll still be able to rotate the turret by extending the ram forward a bit:
IMG_7868_zpsprskhiqm.jpg

IMG_7869_zpsmfesqw7l.jpg

i bought this one 20 years ago with a swivel base on ebay..sold the swivel base for for than i paid ;-)..
just cant remember who made it...????

IMG_0689.JPG

Talking about penetrating oil, about 10yrs. ago I read about home made penetrants. Fifty, fifty mix of Acetone and automatic transmission fluid. That is all I use now. I do a lot of work on cars from the 30s and 40s Door hinge screws don't stand a chance with this mix.

Talking about penetrating oil, about 10yrs. ago I read about home made penetrants. Fifty, fifty mix of Acetone and automatic transmission fluid. That is all I use now. I do a lot of work on cars from the 30s and 40s Door hinge screws don't stand a chance with this mix.

That stuff is magic! I acquired a rotary table, and a large X Y table for a drill press that were very neglected and rusted stuck. Doused them down with the magic stuff, let them sit a couple days and repeated. They were freed up and worked full range. Now needs cleanup!
Elmo

Back