Slowing down the Drill Press

I've eliminated the soft-start feature on a handful of MC-60 boards, just by clipping (removing) the resistor labeled RPS3. No other mods were required in my situation and I keep all three wires connected to the pot.

Yeah, I saw where you had did that, earlier in this thread, or it might have been another thread.
So you just clip out the resistor, don't have to jump it out or nothing, just clip it out?
I take it RPS3 is clearly marked on the MC-60 board?
So you keep all 3 wires connected at the pot,
and I take it your on and off switch for the drill press (in this case) is installed in the A/C power hot wire.

But unless I can come up with a Brush and the plastic holder that holds the brush in,
I guess this motor will go in the scrap bucket.
I got the motor for free, but come to find out I am missing one of the power leads, the wire (power lead) is attached to the spring.
I am missing the brush (with wire, power lead) the spring and the plastic part that holds the brush in.
It is a Icon motor.
I e mailed the fellow l got the motor from, but didn't hear back yet.

If you want to rapid reverse the motor with a switch between the motor armature & the drive board I recommend installing a 180 volt MOV [metal oxide varistor] across the motor armature to absorb any high voltage "spikes" generated when the armature current is interrupted. Mouser Electronics is a good source or search online for a V180LA20B or equivalent.

try to find a working 3phase motor, mount it to the drill press, power it with a vfd..

Another inexpensive way is by adding a couple pulleys and jackshaft.

like this
[video=youtube_share;Y9uDh9mxeCg]http://youtu.be/Y9uDh9mxeCg[/video]

Neat approach to reducing spindle speed.

Back