slotting a screw best way

Brett Hurt

Registered
Registered
I made some screws for friend and what is the best way to a line it and slot so they are senterd on the head of them. , it is .250 at the head. I have to do 10 of them, and the slot is .040 Thanks Brett :p

I use a standard slitting saw in the mill. Hold the screw horizontally in the vise or whatever collet fixture you might have. I bring the saw down until it touches the top edge of the head. I tap the saw with an Allen key all the way down. It rings like a bell until it touches, then it goes dead. You can get within .001" with this odd method. Once it touches, back away from the head and continue down (or up, if the mill has a knee) 1/2 the head diameter plus 1/2 the thickness of the saw.

Same as Conrad. Slit saw is the way to go. If you want to do it the hard way, use a 1/32" end mill. Sweep the screw head while holding in a collet, vise with vee block, or susperspacer chuck.

Conrad's finding method is good if the saw is substantially larger than the arbor nut/washer. If you can't get a good ring out of it, put a piece of paper (known thickness, cig rolling papers are good) hold it gently between the side of the screw head and with the mill running, when the paper is pinched, it is that much off the head. Don't forget to let go of the paper. ;)

I use one of these and slotting files for very small screws.

Just another way of skinning the cat.

Highpower link=topic=1560.msg9027#msg9027 date=1302007287 said:
I use one of these and slotting files for very small screws.

Just another way of skinning the cat.

That is exceedingly cool. I have no need for one now, but I'll sure remember it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: slotting a screw best way its me Brett it worked

I did it with the zigzags and man does it work, had a little play with the mill down feed but figured it out 2 of them where a little out but . Thanks for the info and out 14 that I made thats not bad . They where for a 1890 music box I did for a bud he so is going to buy lunch Brett THANKS :-*

Back