• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Slab milling cutter adapters.

Marcduper

Iron
Registered Member
Good afternoon,

I have a sweet Sheldon/Vernon Model Zero Horizontal mill. The main arbor is 1 inch. I recently came across a bunch of new and near new slab cutters with a 1-1/8" bore. Has anyone made adapters to fit a smaller arbor? If soon, what is the prefered material and any advice. Thanks.

Marc

Marcduper

Iron
Registered Member
Good afternoon, The taper is a Brown and Sharp number nine. The arbor is a total of 14 inches.

Thank you for your response. Marc

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter-Premium
For this sort of thing, I sometimes make a shouldered bushing with a key slot, then make a key oversized in height. For this application, I'd make two shouldered bushings for each end of the cutter.
One wonders why this cutter would have a non standard arbor hole.

Marcduper

Iron
Registered Member
No sir, the hole is standard size 1-1/4. I made a mistake in my earlier posts. My arbor shaft is only 1 inch. Your thoughts on the shouldered bushings was my plan.

I recap: I have slab milling cutters with a 1-1/4 hole size. Problem is that I only have a 1 inch arbor. Very sorry for the wrong information.

Thanks

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter-Premium
No sir, the hole is standard size 1-1/4. I made a mistake in my earlier posts. My arbor shaft is only 1 inch. Your thoughts on the shouldered bushings was my plan.

I recap: I have slab milling cutters with a 1-1/4 hole size. Problem is that I only have a 1 inch arbor. Very sorry for the wrong information.

Thanks
No damage done! I have seen cutters with non standard holes, but very rare; metric sizes are another exception. I have not used a slab cutter in many years, did so more often when all I had was a #2 Brown & Sharpe universal of about 1906 vintage, have now upgraded to a later (about 1943) version with the all angle universal milling head, used mostly as a vertical attachment.

Marcduper

Iron
Registered Member
You should check out this little Sheldon /Vernon 0. It has nice gear box, variable speed, very tight and accurate. I do like squaring up parts with this machine. That is why I picked up the helical cutters.

Marcduper

Iron
Registered Member
From what I understand, it came from Ohio. The place made car parts for Dodge. Notice the green color like the hot cars of the time. I ran an indicator tested this thing all over and nothing out of spec. Love it.

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter-Premium
The shop where I apprenticed had no vertical mill for several years until they bought a used #3 Cincinnati vertical, so most of my early experience was on their #4 Cincinnati universal horizontal, which was thoroughly used and abused, all attachments included --- So I learned the older ways, including slab milling.

Silverbullet

I'm in the same boat, I own an atlas mill and have one arbor also . I bought a piece of 4140 16" x 2" . Ill be doing some turning on my logan , taper to morse number2 , then about 10" of arbor turned to 1 1/4" . The second will be 7/8" plus about ten spacers to fit , ill buy some thin ones to do gang mill . The one reason I bought it is to cut gears for my big drill press . The table and head lifts both need gears , ill make up a half dozen and sell a few to pay for the rest. Original gear from Rockwell is over $400.00 one gear . I'll eBay them for $100 free ship . Seems I remember seeing a #9 on eBay arbors for sale .