Single Row Linear Bearings for Z axis

shooter123456

Registered
Registered
Question for the gurus out there. I got a set of MLFG24 linear rails and bearings that I planned to use for the Z axis of X2 mill. They are single row, and in doing more research I found one person that said single row bearings might be ok for horizontal applications but can't be used vertically. Anyone know if they will be good enough for such a small mill, or should I try to find new ones?

If I understand the question correctly, which I am sure that I do not, you have an existing machine with a fixed spindle wherein the Z axis moves the head on ways on the column?
You desire to replace the ways with a different linear guide for some reason that is only obvious to you, what exactly do you expect to gain by doing so?

If I understand the question correctly, which I am sure that I do not, you have an existing machine with a fixed spindle wherein the Z axis moves the head on ways on the column?
You desire to replace the ways with a different linear guide for some reason that is only obvious to you, what exactly do you expect to gain by doing so?
I have an X2 mill and the dovetails on all the axes are rough and inconsistent making it difficult to traverse the full travels without binding at either end or without being too loose to cut well in the middle. The goal is to get smooth travel along the entire range and linear rails seem to be the most effective way to do so.

Since the linear rails are inexpensive and it would make for a fun project, I am converting all three axes to move on linear rails instead of the dovetails.

What I would like to know is if the MLFG24 rails and bearings (2 rails, 4 bearings) that I got will function well to replace the Z axis dovetails. The specs for these particular rails can be found here:http://www.lineairegeleiding.nl/upl...erk/Iko/IKO_ML_series_Lineairegeleidingen.pdf

I want to know if the single row rather than double is suitable for a Z axis application.

Might work, there is only one way to find out.
I suspect that the very small contact area between the balls and races will prove a bit less hardy then dovetail or box ways in this application, give it a shot and see what happens. We have a Haas toolroom mill with ball ways that does not take kindly to heavy milling but is an excellent D&T machine.

Might work, there is only one way to find out.
I suspect that the very small contact area between the balls and races will prove a bit less hardy then dovetail or box ways in this application, give it a shot and see what happens. We have a Haas toolroom mill with ball ways that does not take kindly to heavy milling but is an excellent D&T machine.
Thank you for your answer. The page I read stated matter of factly that they shouldn't be used for vertical applications, but I couldn't find anyone else saying that.

I will probably go ahead and use them and just see what happens. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I take them off. I am curious what you consider heavy milling though. For me, .375 DOC, .08 WOC, and 35 IPM is a massive cut, but for most of the people out there with larger machines, thats a finishing pass.

I can not possibly imagine why there would be a difference between vertical or horizontal mounting other then ball return or lubrication problems. If the balls must climb vertically they may not recirculate as intended.

This I do not know however, someone in that industry will eventually shed light on the subject.

Back