Single point threading - What size to turn to?

Follow up question. What DOC per pass do you guys typically use for tool steel and carbide flat inserts?

I have been doing about .003 once into the threadworm, after starting at about .005 for the first few. Once test fitting I do .002 till I can thread a nut on halfway and begin some file work to flatten the sharp threads. Am I in the ballpark here?

Your depths are pretty much what I do. I also will do spring passes until insignificant amounts of metal come off the work. I also will run the triangle file in the threads before I try to fit a nut. Just make sure the nut meets the fit you are shooting for.

Probably. There is one point to make. If you are doing a one off bolt to fit your own thing, you can do it until the nut fits. If your are doing it for someone else then you really need to hit within the pitch. On the last pass I use a dial indicator set at perfect indicator to center of black mark. I lightly touch a flat file to threads and knock off the sharp points. Then using idictor do a spring pass to get any burrs. Using the dial indicator means that I don't over cut or undercut on the spring pass. My dials on a hobby lathe leave a lot to be desired.

Unless there's a specification in a design somewhere (not in my world....), I put the diameter to nominal, minus 10 percent of the thread pitch. Then I'll go down the thread with a triangular file, leaning on the "corners" of the flat points of the thread, kinda making a "faceted round crest". They come out well within spec for most anything outside of a nuclear reactor.

I will use the file to "ease" the corners of the flattened crest BEFORE taking the last couple of final cuts, while I'm matching up a nut, since in my world it's probably a commodity grade nut, which means it might or might not be inside or outside of any specification anyway, at the manufacturer's leasure..... That just makes sure that I don't interfere with their rounded root. (rounded and plated, probably dirty before plating, and generally inconsistent root....). Then I get the fit that I want, since it's probably "custom" anyhow, since I don't make threads for sport, when there's a dirt cheap and very suitable commodity item available for less than the cost of materials. And plated too...

Depth of cut? It depends what you're driving. On my lathe, your depths sound plausible. After a "scratch pass" to make sure I didn't bollix up the gearbox again (which let's be clear.... It's very intuitive, and clearly labeled with a metal tag in good condition. No excuses here), after the scratch pass I might start at 12 or 15 on the first pass (Depth of cut, radius, double that for diameter reduction), but they drop quick after that. By pass number two, it's "dug in" more, five sounds about right. Nearing the depth, two will deflect less, and give me a straighter thing for the tweaking in passes. The last pass (or first of however many "test fit" passes" I might aim for less than two. One maybe, or even splitting a thousandth to some fraction depending on how close I guess that I might be. If you're not bound up on the roots or crowns, then the smallest whisker really goes a long ways towards making them fit "just right".

Need to cut M16 x 2 threads, and the first several I had to cut well beyond a triangle thread to get it to fit a M16 nut.

Where can I find what dimensionsI should be starting at for imperial and metric threads on the lathe.

For reference I was starting at 16mm.

Thanks!
I find that the process usually turns up a "burr" on the top of the thread that expands the OD, and that might be the problem. Gentle application of a file or a pass at the desired OD (which is usually less than the nominal OD) takes care of it.

Well I figured out why I was having such difficulty. All you have to do here, is make sure you READ THE CHANGE GEARS SCEMA CORRECTLY!

I’m such a dumbass…lol

Back