Simple valve repair

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a valve I removed from an irrigation system faucet. It was leaking. I took it apart and it appears the sealing washer is missing. Think the washer is a Trade #0, or 00. I also see there is no packing material around the valve stem. I can get the washer at hardware store. What is used these days for packing material? Used to be some kind of string? Can I just use some twine and coat it with graphite and wind it around the stem? Something better that is relatively inexpensive?
PXL_20231101_151852289.jpgPXL_20231101_151907377.jpgPXL_20231101_152009870.jpg

You should be able to find the washer at any hardware store or DIY. They're ubiquitous.

Also the packing.
Wasn't sure about the packing being available any more. Stuff like packing is the sort of item places drop, so they can sell you new, non-repairable stuff. I see there's the old fashioned graphite impregnated stuff, and a newfangled teflon kind. Which is preferable?

Propeller shaft packing is waxed, maybe dental tape(floss)?

Wasn't sure about the packing being available any more. Stuff like packing is the sort of item places drop, so they can sell you new, non-repairable stuff. I see there's the old fashioned graphite impregnated stuff, and a newfangled teflon kind. Which is preferable?
Rubber o-ring energized square teflon o-ring

There should be an o ring for the stem, it would fit into the nut

Graphited Yarn was used for centuries, but I've heard that the newer stuff isn't as flexible (at least according to Keith Appleton). As long as it's flexible, I'd go with whatever is cheaper.

I replaced the packing on a faucet not too long ago , I couldn’t remember but after searching I found what you’re looking for Bonnet packing washer. Just remembered I got the packing at ACE Hardware if that’s any help

Back