Silver solder

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all, was woundering what type of silver solder is good for general shop use , cast iron to cast iron, are there codes for different types and what do they mean
Carbide to steel , brass to ? , amazon prime trial is almost over,
Thanks

you'll probably wanna use hard solder for most things in the shop- but having medium around won't hurt any either

the softer the solder, the easier it flows.

Silver soldering is a great way for joining many things. I prefer it to brass based brazing for everything I can afford the cost difference on. Naturally, the higher the silver content of any alloy, the greater the cost. But there can be justifications. I typically use an alloy popular with the HVAC guys for general purpose. Alloys in popular use in that industry do not require fluxing, but it can make delicate jobs a bit easier, or on certain materials. Generally brass and copper are done without. It goes without saying that clean is necessary, especially for skipping on the flux. Here is a chart that you may find useful.

http://www.silfos.com/htmdocs/product_support/alloy_selection_guide.html

Doing a little browsing in Amazon, very few listings were available at a discount using Prime. Unless you don't mind the Forny brand made in China. Those were available using your Prime. I'm no expert at any of this, just learning. I found the Sil Fos Silvaloy 505 to be a good one to have for doing any steel to carbide brazing in my searching. I think I will wait to buy any until I have a need for it! That stuff is expensive!

I have used Low Temperature silver solder for years. For antennas and connectors exposed to salt water spray, electronics solder won't stand up. A small kit costs about $50, includes the flux. It has a high tensile strength and because it works at low temperature you don't need a special torch. A soldering gun or propane torch is plenty of heat, even a heat gun would do it. Strong enough for clock repair or solder up a nut to sheet metal. Clean the flux off well if you want it to be shiny. If interested I can look up the details on the package.

Back