Sika Post Setting Compound!

Wizard69

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

I was just at the hardware store to buy a bag of concrete and found this new product: http://usa.sika.com/en/residential/residential-home/product-type/post-fix.html. Well it is new to me anyways. What got me thinking here is using this material in steel tubbing to deaden vibration say for example in a router frame.

It is an expanding uraethane foam what I can see. You mix the two components together and poof a rapidly expanding foam that completely sets up in two hours. Obviously being a foam it won't solve a lack of mass problem but it might solve a vibration issue especially if that vibration comes from thin walled tubing.

They had a sample post sitting in a bucket, one thing that was obvious is that the foam was pretty hard. Harder than what you might get from insulating foam.

In any event I hope this hasn't been brought up before. It isn't often that I go to a hardware store and say "hey that is neat".

Darn! I just put in 200' of chainlink fence to make a yard for my dog, wish I knew about that stuff.

Hmmmm ... seems like one $11 package is good for one fence post (MIGHT have enough volume for a couple steel posts, but would you have TIME to get to both of 'em?) Last time I bought concrete it was quite a bit cheaper. Stronger, too. OK, the foam has a faster initial set. But the instructions say to let it fully harden for 24 hours before building the actual fence. So I don't see a huge advantage over concrete here, either.

Has anybody actually used this stuff?

Back