Sieg X3 Mill

Well after putting it off for 2 nites, I attacked the stubborn set screw. Cheap chinese hardware! >:( That screw was so soft it didn't matter what you tried, it just deformed and broke off. Ended up drilling about half of it out from an angular perspective and got it to wiggle about 1 mm. After trying various puller ideas that were all too big, I started pushing it back further on the shaft - figured if I couldn't get the remnant of the set screw to deform/yield coming off, maybe I could get it to by driving it further on the shaft. That didn't work too good on the 2nd go round and I couldn't get the gear to move - period. It was stuck way up against the shoulder of the shaft wear it necked down for the gear i.d.

Then I got the bright idea to loosen the z-axis handle bearing and just try to drive the shaft out through the gear with a piece of brass rod. Bingo! Got the gear off, but then I had the key stuck a little in the bronze bushing in the back. Love tapped the z handle back in, pulled the key and voila, I have completed disassembly!

So I guess I need to figure out a way to check squareness of the z-axis dovetail while it's easy to shim without a lot of weight on it.

rrr

knudsen link=topic=29.msg5863#msg5863 date=1299186952 said:
Beat that sucker into submission. I like that :eek:

Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do so you can keep moving forward. :)

I will definitely be replacing all set screws(where possible) with something that has a head you can grab. If I can't replace them with a headed screw, I'll replace with better quality HW. Personally I hate anything that needs an allen wrench, it's just a recipe for an eventual hassle.

rrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back