Sieg X1 Micro Mill Conversion

7HC

Active User
Registered
DSCF0604.JPGHere are some pics of an inexpensive basic CNC conversion of a Sieg X1 Micro Mill.
Instead of ball screws the original lead screws are retained, the stepper motors were used items from eBay, and they're mounted in the simplest way possible with a single aluminum plate at 90 degrees to the front of the motor connecting them to the X & Y.
The Z uses a tubular spacer, an offcut possibly from an exhaust.
Initially a TB 6560 driver board (rated @3amp) was used, but the smoke leaked out when the motors were connected for maximum output (4.5amp), so I did what I should have done in the first place and used 3 separate drivers that were correctly rated for the load.
The drivers, power supply, break-out board and all the various switches and connectors were installed in a small custom cabinet mounted on the rear of the column.
The project is virtually finished with just a little tidying of the wiring left to be done.
Although initially pitiful when using the TB6560, the motors run very strongly now and will be making chips in the very near future.
Credit for the the design and execution must be given to my friend "Jumps4", (Steve Ryan).
I just kept turning up every few days to tell him what I wanted to do next with it and twisted his arm to make it happen.
He's also in the middle of a more sophisticated conversion to a BF20 / G0704 which will probably get posted soon.
I can't thank Steve enough for his help and he has great insight into both the mechanical and electronic design needed for a CNC hobby conversion.
Anyhow, here's a few more pics which probably better explain the simplicity of the construction.DSCF0605.JPGDSCF0738.JPGDSCF0739.JPG
Misc parts, drivers, couplers, used motors etc. came to no more than $300, which is pretty good in my book.
M

DSCF0604.JPG DSCF0605.JPG DSCF0738.JPG DSCF0739.JPG

Looks good and Steve is good at helping a guy out. Hope it all works out when you run the first chips through it.

Paul

Here is a video of the mill cutting air on its first run.
steve

[video=youtube;pD_e-RJDkSc]

Last edited:
Back