1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Sieg X0 micro drill/mill

Discussion in 'SHERLINE, TAIG, TITAN & SIEG MINI-MACHINES' started by gerene, Oct 7, 2012.

1. gerene

gerene France Active Member Active Member

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Hello everybody,

I am fairly new on this forum as well as in machining in general.
    I was planning on acquiring a Sieg X0 drill/mill to do some watch and clock work (including making gears eventually) and was wondering if someone has some experience or other advise before I place the order.
    Thanks in advance and hope to hear something.

Jan

2. 7HC

7HC Active User Active Member

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I've not come across the Sieg X0, have you got a link Jan?
    I have a Sieg X1 Micro Mill which I'm in the process of converting to CNC with some help from the forum.

I'd think that a CNC conversion would be helpful to you too for watch and clock work.

M

3. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

4. 7HC

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Yes, for a small mill I'm pleased with my X1, although I confess I've yet to do anything productive with it yet.
    That X0 looks interesting, but the downside will be the round column which may be prone to flex, and will probably mean re-tramming every time you move the head up or down the column.

I'd recommend a different make for the precision and accuracy that you'll need.
    Have a look at the Proxxon MF70: http://www.emachinetool.com/new/catalog/vertical.cfm?ProductID=719

Here it is compared to my larger X1: http://darkfibre.nl/micro-mill-overview/ and there's some useful reading on that site too.

The Proxxon is available from many suppliers here in the US, including Amazon, so probably can be found in the UK as well.

If you don't go the CNC route you'll probably need to look into getting a rotary index or dividing head rotary table for the precise positioning that cutting gears and sprockets requires.

I'm not saying that the X0 is totally unsuitable, just that there might be better options that could save you a lot of frustration.

M

5. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Thanks for pointing me to the Proxxon MF 70.
    I got convinced that the Proxxon was indeed better suited for my needs after studying the specs and doing some searching on the internet.
    It seems to me that the German quality might be better than the Chinese, but that might just be an impression.
    The capacity for the Sieg is a little more than the Proxxon, but for now I would not need that. I probably would be better of buying something bigger (and sturdier) than the X0 when need arises.
    Anyhow, I ordered the Proxxon MF 70 today and am now waiting for it. Hope it will arive this week :)).

6. 7HC

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Make sure you post your first impressions when it arrives. You'll also need a watchmakers or jewelers lathe. There are several good YouTube videos of those.

M

7. AR1911

AR1911 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Fort Worth
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

You made the right choice with the Proxxon.

I've not seen an X0 before. How can you mill without a provision for X-Y movement?

8. 7HC

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I wondered that at first, but if you look further down in that link you'll see that the table is listed as an extra! :nuts:

table1.JPG

M

table1.JPG

9. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I do have a lathe. It is not a classical watchmakers lathe like Boley etc, but a Sieg N1 http://www.siegind.com/products_det...=comp-FrontProducts_list01-1325833166395.html.
    It does more or less what I need it for. One drawback is that it does not take WW-collets and hence mounting very small watch parts can be impossible. I do use ER-11 collets but the closing ring gets in the way sometimes.

10. 7HC

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

That's a cute lathe! :))

I'm sure you've looked into it, but I guess that there's no possibility of adapting the Sherline WW collet adapter to fit the Sieg spindle?

M

11. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Well, I have been toying with the idea but to be honest, I haven't pursued it so far. Should do that one day :))

12. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Well the Proxxon MF-70 arrived this afternoon.
    Installation was really easy and took less than 1/2 hour.
    I did not do anything usefull yet, but it is a sturdy machine and really easy to operate. As far as I can tell now, it seems to be verry accurate.

Thanks for the good advice and I am certain that I will enjoy this little machine.

13. 7HC

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with it, I'm sure it was the better choice.

Please post some pics once you start making a few parts.

M

14. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Here some pictures as promised. Not exactly milling, but drilling holes to make a lantern pinion for a clock.
    IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2576.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. DenH

DenH Iron Registered Member

City:
    Ebensburg
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

7HC, thanks for those links in post#4. They lead to more links and now I've got a 1/2 doz windows open I need to bookmark, LOL.

I've got the JET version of the X1 and haven't seen most of those webpages before.

Dennis

16. 7HC

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

You're welcome! :))

Make sure to post a couple pics of your machine in action.

M

17. catceefer

catceefer United Kingdom Iron Registered Member

City:
    Bucks
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Jan.

I know that this is a very old thread, but I was wondering whether you are able to give an update onhow you have got on with your Proxxon MF70 mill. I am thinking about getting one and would like to know how they last over time.

Thank you.

James.

18. gerene

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Hello James,

I am still a happy user of this micro lathe. I did buy a Sieg X1 mill as well which I use for bigger work. The max mill cutter size for the Proxxon is 3 mm which is really small. You will enjoy the Proxxon if you have work in that size category.

Jan

19. catceefer

catceefer United Kingdom Iron Registered Member

City:
    Bucks
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Jan.

Thank you for your reply. The type of work for which I am considering it is gear wheels for clocks and other clock parts. I would be mostly using it on brass, although if it can cope with mild steel, that would be a bonus.

I have seen a number of conversions of the machine to CNC operation. This is something that fascinates me, although I currently know nothing about doing it. As the conversion looks simple enough, I may look into this if I do buy one.

Regards,

James.