sidney taper attachment questions

dcheff

Active User
Registered
I have a 14" sidney lathe, I am trying to use the taper attachment for the first time. when it is all hooked up and you start traversing it goes a few inches then binds up. I am not sure but I think it has something to do with the cross slide binding. I went through the manual and it shows which nuts to loosen to adjust it and what not but does not say anything else. Does anyone have any info on this? I was thinking about just unbolting the crossslide handle and seeing if it works then.

There has to be some sort of an arrangement that allows the cross slide to move, usually without the cross slide lead screw turning (perhaps some manufacturer invented one that worked that way?).

The two methods that I am aware of (I believe these are the most common arrangements) are: to employ a telescopic section of the cross slide screw, or require the cross slide screw be disconnected from it's thrust bearing. There may be other systems as well. Regardless, figure out how it is supposed to function.

I have two lathes. The newer one uses the telescopic cross slide screw. The older one requires that I disconnect the cross slide screw from the center of the handwheel (the handwheel stays put and the screw travels with the nut that is bolted to the moving portion of the slide.

I ended up tearing it down to stone the ways on it as there were a lot of burrs. Right now I am going through the oiling system getting that figured out and fixed. it was telescoping like you said. it ended up being burrs and some paint in the ways along with rust from not being used. Thanks for the info chipper, it helped in diagnosing the problem.

Back