Shunt Wound Dc Motor On Clausing 8530 Mill

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have this motor and controller, is it worthwhile to install the system on my 8530? Running an AC 3/4hp on the mill now. As I understand it the tread mill motors are also shunt wound, but most are rated at a greater hp(optimistically). Given the beefiness of my motor its hard to believe the typical treadmill motor is stronger than the one I have. Thoughts??

thanks, Brian

EDIT: sorry I asked this same question( http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shunt-wound-dc-motor-on-clausing-8530-mill.41050/ ) when I got the 8530 this came with, so upon reading it I see the question was pretty much answered. Still like any additional input

IMG_6554_zpschw7hjli.jpg

IMG_6571_zps9a1711ef.jpg

IMG_6557_zps58b8b37a.jpg

Last edited:
this motor and controller would work for the application just fine.
you could use it for a multitude of machine tools as a powerplant/controler
i'd rather have the larger mass of the 56 frame for continuous running.

the little treadmill motors are nothing to be laughed at,
they are powerful little motors, but i don't like the idea of running them hard for any length of time without the forethought of external cooling devices

That looks like a good setup; I would use it. Is it an open or "non ventilated" motor? Suggestion: If that control is a standard line-commutated SCR type control, which is what it looks like, the motor may jerk and buzz at low speeds because the output is very discontinuous. A choke/capacitor filter setup off a treadmill can smooth that out.

Back