Shows in Socal?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Are there any hobby or machining related events/shows in Socal? Seems like most are in the east coast but I can understand why. The only machining related show I've been to here is Westec.

Not a show or event, but how about a museum? The "Minature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum" is in Carlsbad, just a few miles from here (north of San Diego). This had been located at Sherline's factory in the San Marcos/Vista area, but moved to Carlsbad a few years ago.
It features beautiful engines, aircraft, firearms, vehicles, tools, et cetera. The website shows it very well: see http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/ but you do need to see it for real. In my case, visiting this museum five years ago was what motivated me to get involved in hobby machining. (I hadn't used a mill or lathe since a summer job in 1966.)

Are there any hobby or machining related events/shows in Socal? Seems like most are in the east coast but I can understand why. The only machining related show I've been to here is Westec.

Thanks fellas. Both are a bit too far than I would like to drive to but if I'm ever in the area I'll definitely have to check those out. They are things I would like to see!

Thanks for the info. I live a couple of hours North of the area and was unaware of the show and museum. I will be sure to be there at the end of the month!

Follow-up. I went to the Antique Steam Engine Museum and Auction this weekend. They didn't run anything this weekend as it was really more about the auction. I got a swing'n deal on a Formdom hanging die grinder set with foot pedal control and about 100 dental tool and a dozen porting tool bits for a whopping $60. It's almost new and these go for over $300 w/ no bits.

We then dropped by the Martin Mininature Museum and it was fantastic. Even my wife was blown away at the engines and other pieces in there. This is a MUST SEE when visiting So Cal. Better than Disneyland and free (or you can leave a $10 donation and get a free CD w/ 400 pics.).

They take the time to run a variety of engines for you in the machine shop and they have a row of comp air engines running on display in the showroom. I made a panorama video of them and took another 200 photos. Too much to post here.

We then dropped by the Martin Mininature Museum and it was fantastic.

Next time you are down there, be sure to stop by the Sherline factory (just a couple miles away from the Joe Martin Craftsmanship Museum) for a personal tour. They walk you around all the cool CNC equipment and you can watch how creatively they use the sherline tools to make sherline parts! It's absolutely amazing and well worth the time.

Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks fellas. Both are a bit too far than I would like to drive...

Darkzero, have you attended a meeting of the Southern California Home Shop Machinist's club that meets at El Camino College in Torrance? Next monthly meeting is this Saturday, April 5 at 2:00pm.

www.schsm.org for more info

Matt

Back