Showing my shop setup

Ken_NJ

Registered
Registered
Thought I would show off my basement shop. It's about 11 feet wide by about 20 feet long with an 8 foot ceiling. Unfortunately no windows for ventilation. My desktop type power tools are mostly Grizzly except for the lathe which is Mirco-Mark (MicroLux). My shop is mostly to support my hobby which is scratch building scale radio control model boats and submarines. I'll show off my models in another section of this forum.

IMG_0885.jpeg

I'll start with my lathe. Being more a woodworker, I made a wood 'mount' for the tach I bought from LMS. I made a tray that holds most of the tooling that hangs off of the rear shield. And also a shelf at the back that holds my live and dead centers. There's room for more there as I add to it.

IMG_0873.jpeg

Here's the tach. It came with magnets on the bottom to attach to whatever. I had to have it mounted nicely so as to have a clear area above the spindle. Possibly mounting the Noga/DI there.

IMG_0874.jpeg

The holder was made from 1/8 luan. It stay attached to the back of the motor housing with a magnet removed from an old 5-1/4 20Mb hard drive from an old PC. The magnet goes where my thumb is.

IMG_0876.jpeg

The tool tray is wood from discarded dresser drawers. I scrounge those from the curb. The dividers are a friction fit so I can move them around.

IMG_0877.jpeg

To hold up the back I have these removable legs.

IMG_0878.jpeg

The holder for the centers, and other things. also made from discarded drawer wood. It is removable.

IMG_0879.jpeg

And free standing.

IMG_0880.jpeg

The drill press. This replaced a smaller one I had. When this one arrived, it was much bigger than I expected. Works out well for me.

IMG_0881.jpeg

My oscillating sander. I get much use out of this one.

IMG_0882.jpeg

With all of the saw dust generated have an air filter. I also have a desktop air filter when I'm sanding on the workbench.

IMG_0884.jpeg

And the band saw, also gets a lot of use.

IMG_0883.jpeg

That's all I have time for now. More to come.

Shop looks great. I have a similar size, 1 garage bay, just a little taller ceiling. Amazing what you can pack in there. My wood tools are stored in the other garage and usually used on the driveway, so mostly metal tools in the "shop". Thanks for sharing, look forward to seeing the models you build. I used to fly RC helicopters, sold all my large ones, great hobby for sure.

About the workbench's. The frames of the bench's are made from 2x4's, glued and bolted. The tops are made of 3/4" multiple ply plywood. The surfaces are 1/4 hardboard. The hardboard and plywood are joined with Weldwood contact cement. This surface is nice and flat. I have electrical boxes on 20amp circuits mounted in the ceiling and used the proper gauge electrical cords as drops to the boxes mounted in the workbench's. The female end of the cords were cut and fed into a box and to the rest of the bench.

About the cabinets underneath the workbench's. Each cabinet has different size drawers. I made the drawers from 1/2" multiple ply plywood and they have full extension slides. Each cabinet is independent of the workbench and sits on wheels for mobility.

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

On the top back of each bench is a tray to hold misc things. These trays have a lip to keep things from rolling off.

IMG_0895.jpeg

There is also a slight lip on the main part of the bench. Those electrical boxes in this pic, I'm going to add more boxes on the benches and around the shop.

IMG_0896.jpeg

Last edited:
The rest of the shop. The non power tool area. Or the building area. This is where I make parts for the boats. The bench is an old shop bench that was given to me, probably from a school shop, something like that. Love this heavy duty bench.

IMG_0886.jpeg

The next bench was an old desk. I meant to use this as my soldering bench and electrical design bench. But it ends up as a dumping ground. I just move the soldering tools back and forth over to the other bench.

IMG_0888.jpeg

The walls of the basement are covered in sealed insulation. So as to not use up space with floor to ceiling walls, I bolted 2x3's to ceiling joists which hung down 3-4 feet. This leaves the lower area without walls. I added plywood to these studs which gave me some wall and shelf space above the two aforementioned work desks.

IMG_0889.jpeg

This area in the back corner I use for radio and battery storage and charging. Up top is regular storage.

IMG_0890.jpeg

This Husky bench is height adjustable. I added a hardboard surface to it to make it longer and wider. Also added a shelf on crossmembers below for additional storage. Looks pretty sloppy, ugh. The the current model boat I'm building is a party boat, fishing boat, that was in the Belmar NJ marina in the 60's to 90's. I'm building it from pictures found online and pictures that people emailed me from seeing my web site.

IMG_0891.jpeg

I bought this recessed power strip from Amazon and had a machinist friend of mine make the cutout for it. Have mostly my Dremel tools plugged into it.

IMG_0892.jpeg

I have one more item to show but have to take a picture of it.

Back