Show Your Home Made Shop Press

This press was made by my grandpa many years ago and still works great today, This is made of two pieces of I beam and a hunk of rail road rail for the top.
I was always amazed at my grandpa's ability to conjure tools out of scrap steel and car parts.

View attachment 203842

I'm happy to see it put to use as a miscellaneous hanging rack, like mine. A great way to store clamps and chains.

All,
There are some great presses here.
Currently, I'm restoring a large Prentiss vise. Among the challenges this restoration threw at me, the main screw was slightly bent. This is one that can't be fixed by whacking the high point of the bend or clamping one end and bending it straight with a cheater bar. The bending almost has to be surgically done.
Since I sold my hydraulic frame press (pictured in my original post), I used my arbor press and set up some oak chocks as seen in the picture below. Although the press isn't home made, the set up is.

Cheers.

PRENTISS SPINDLE REPAIR.jpg

I made this a couple of years ago. I don't recall where I came up with the design but I don't think the concept was completely mine. I looked at quite a number of home made presses and was a bit concerned about welded or bolted together models holding up to the stress. I thought that the solid steel plate, enclosed loop, might stand a better chance of staying in one piece. I designed this one and gave the DXF files to my brother who has a CNC plasma cutter, MIG welder, and also happens to do some pretty nice powder coating in his home shop. He cut, welded and PC'd it for me.

hydraulic-press-01.JPG

Back