Show us your South Bend Lathe

WoW, From one Tommie to another, Nice lathe! i'm jealous

Thanks, notice I am a tommie d but list it as one. tommie

Here is my 1943 3' Model B South Bend 9". I converted it to a Model A, added ball oilers to the 4 corners of the carriage, added oilers to the tailstock base, bushed the idler gear, added a quick change reversing lever, Serpentine drive belt, needle bearing take up nut and it now sports a large dial on the crossfeed that measures .100" per revolution, when I get the large dial on the compound I will take a new picture. I also havea set of Shumatech DRO's for the bed, but took them off because I didn't like how the Z scale fit and am currently reworking them.

Lathe-1-1.jpg

Lathe-1-1.jpg

Lathe-1-1.jpg

Here's my SB9 and 10K. The 1947, 9" which was my first machine, came with basic tooling. The 1960 10K came from an old town hardware store display completely tooled

PICT2252.JPG PICT2150.JPG

Mine is a 11 inch ,with a 5 foot bed. 1929 model , serial number 41090, catalog number248-B. I will be looking for tooling. and some parts. The lathe ended up on it's side during shipment.

Check the front way on the far right for a serial number.
That will hep a lot.

Nice lathe by the way!!

Andrew

Here are some pictures of my South Bend 10K. I picked it up at auction from the USAF. It was a little rusty from being left out at the auction yard for a month, but other than that it is a fine machine that cleaned up very well. This replaced the 9 X 20 Central Machinery lathe I learned on, Oh what a difference! Since these pictures where taken, I have acquired a new Cushman 3 jaw 5" chuck, a South Bend 4 jaw 6" chuck, an 8" face plate, a 6" dog plate, a Phase II AXA quick Change tool post with tool holders, and an ETM collet set. This is an expensive hobby, but it is very satisfying to put together & maintain such a fine example of American Iron. I believe from the information acquired from the South Bend Forum this was one of the last machines built, 1990.

IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1210.JPG

This is my Southbend 9A-I had it completely apart and cleaned and replaced all the felts and a few gears (bull and back gear). I should have taken before pictures but didn't-There was about 75 years of gunk and old paint (at least 3 different layers orange-red-blue) I believe it is a 1945 by the serial number.

Still can't make chips yet, still need to find a chuck and tool post.

southbend1.jpg

southbend1.jpg

Back