Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Thanks again for the thumbs. Here is the home I made for the quick change drill chuck on the tool board. Holy cow does PVC get weird shaped quick with the tiniest bit of clamping pressure. At a glance though it's a nice enough looking part. Now there are 15 tools centered and taught to the dro. Outsmarting the dro was by far the most daunting part of these projects.View attachment 457687View attachment 457686

Nice use of non-typical materials. With the cost of traditional materials I find myself frequently using ABS & PVC pipe (particularly Sch 80), as long as brass pipe & fittings for non-critical parts.

Thanks, I'm frugal out of necessity. I think the next time I want to try schedule 40 s*** pipe for a project, I will put a cap on it without glue and then chuck it in the lathe or mill vise. I will bet that helps me get it somewhat concentric and get a bite on it without distorting it too bad.

Thanks, I'm frugal out of necessity. I think the next time I want to try schedule 40 s*** pipe for a project, I will put a cap on it without glue and then chuck it in the lathe or mill vise. I will bet that helps me get it somewhat concentric and get a bite on it without distorting it too bad.
In many cases caps have a slightly tapered outside – you may want to use a coupling.

Long time ago, I needed to do some metric threads, but my lathe is imperial only, it's a Standard Modern 1654 Utilathe.

Couldn't find them to purchase, so decided to make them. Back then, I knew nothing about gears and such. But determined which DP and pressure angle I needed by comparing the other gears, determined what OD I needed, then machined he gears from 1045 steel plate. I then took them to a company which cut the teeth. And voila, I can now do metric threads.

In retrospect, I could have used a smaller DP, but back then I knew nothing....I still know just a little more than nothing.

Attachments

• 20210922_180611.jpg
    20210922_180611.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 21
Very pretty. I am working towards cutting a set of transposing gears for my lathe too. Of course that project spawned a bunch of projects to be done first. Seems to be the way of things.

EDIT: Oops - wrong thread!
The PTS003 arrived yesterday! I'm out of town this weekend. If I can't fit the installation in sometime next week after work, it'll have to wait until the following weekend. It'll be a snap as I already have a dedicated circuit in place. I struggled a bit with the decision to get this versus using the VFD I was using on the mill I recently sold, but convinced myself the proceeds basically made it free. o_O Is this how it works @wachuko? :grin:

IMG_3112.jpgIMG_3113.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: Oops - wrong thread!
The PTS003 arrived yesterday! I'm out of town this weekend. If I can't fit the installation in sometime next week after work, it'll have to wait until the following weekend. It'll be a snap as I already have a dedicated circuit in place. I struggled a bit with the decision to get this versus using the VFD I was using on the mill I recently sold, but convinced myself the proceeds basically made it free. o_O Is this how it works @wachuko? :grin:

View attachment 457818View attachment 457819
This is the way.gif

I'm getting fast guys. In just a few short hours I can knock out a 20 min job. I don't mean to brag, but pretty impressive. Here's the newest arbor off the assembly line. It's a slitting saw flavored one.IMG_20230827_004148.jpgIMG_20230827_004107.jpg

Back