Show us your older 3-phase machines run by a VFD!

IMG_2698.JPGIMG_2699.JPG
VFD conversion on an Enco 100-1525 (baby BP clone - 1991). This was a tricky one because the motor was a 2/8 pole motor rather than 2/4 pole. The speed change between ranges was 4 to 1. With a 2/1 range motor you can usually just wire the motor on the high range and use the VFD for speed control and not worry much about about low speed torque. With this motor that wasn't possible so I had to allow for switching the motor between ranges to get the full range and torque. Normally it's not kosher to put switches between the VFD and motor, but the Hitachi VFD had program settings for two motors and conveniently also had had a programable relay output that I used to drive three contactors. It's all set so that the contactors cannot switch while the motor is running. If I try to to switch ranges with the machine running, it ignores me and waits until the motor spins down before switching over. There is also an indicator light that says when high-speed is actually on. I thought I was going to need some logic for this, but the VFD handled it all.

IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2704.JPGIMG_1404.jpgIMG_2705.JPG
Conversion of a 1970s Emco Maximat V10P with VFDs on both the lathe and mill head. The machine came with 110V single phase motors, which is considered more desirable (to the unwashed masses), but I hunted down the 3-phase motors and did the swap. Pretty much all eBay parts.

IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2705.JPG IMG_1404.jpg

I use one on my 1942 Heavy Ten. The motor is 3/4 hp and the VFD is 120 volt unit. Its been in place for several years and continues to work well.000_0257 copy.jpg

000_0257 copy.jpg

Back