Show us your Logan lathes!

Hi all my Heros

I have limited experience with a lathe so bear with me please. A friend gave me a Logan 820 from 1947. It has been siting for ~20 years. Dirty but no rust. I am cleaning it up and learning how it is built. It has some minor issues. A few loose screws, missing screws, very small dings on the bed. What worries me most is the play in the Compound hand wheel and the same in the Saddle. Both are about .045". Is that normal? If not what is normal. Everything moves smoothly. No broken anything that I have found yet. Every thing seems to work as near as I can tell.

I have both a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck I need to clean up too. It came with KDK tool post and 3 tool holders and several HS tools of various geometries.

I purchased the manual online. The cost was $25.00 for the manual and $23.11 for shipping. WOW that is a lot for mailing a book.

How important is it to precision level this machine?

Any information would be appreciated. Pleases steer me in the right direction.
There is so adjustability. Worst case scenario, you can install a new lead screw and nut…

Does it have the same play along all the travel? Or just in a section? That is one way to know if it is adjustment or needs replacement of parts.

And congratulations!!! I have the same model and just love looking at it!!

That reminds me… where are the photos!!?? :D

Hello fellow Logan owners. This summer I picked up a Logan 2557V with 12" swing and 36" centers. I got it up and running after installing an ADX 10hp American Rotary 3 phase power converter.

20230909_102516.jpgIMG_20230911_143502.jpg

Here are a few pics of the Logan installed. I am now in the middle of replacing the apron worm wheel, worm gear and worm bushings. The power fed on the compound woukd drop out and then reengage after manually advancing the compound.

Disassembly of the apron showed some pertty severve localized wear on worm wheel and sloppy worm bearings. There was no oil in the apron.
IMG_20231121_151320_01.jpg
IMG_20231129_164143.jpg

I should have the parts in the nextbweek or two.

If anyone out there has a 2557V and has an oil recommendation I would be interested in hearing your suggestions.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20230921_160017.jpg
    20230921_160017.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230913_193930.jpg
    IMG_20230913_193930.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230919_212018.jpg
    IMG_20230919_212018.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 3
That reminds me… where are the photos!!?? :D
There is so adjustability. Worst case scenario, you can install a new lead screw and nut…

Does it have the same play along all the travel? Or just in a section? That is one way to know if it is adjustment or needs replacement of parts.

The play is all along the travel on both. What is the norm. On the plus side there is no noticeable wear on any gears or screws. I am missing the motor pully cover. Going out now to clean up the 2 chucks.

Attachments

• Logan Home 1.jpg
    Logan Home 1.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Logan Home 2.jpg
    Logan Home 2.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Logan Home 3.jpg
    Logan Home 3.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 6
The play is all along the travel on both. What is the norm. On the plus side there is no noticeable wear on any gears or screws. I am missing the motor pully cover. Going out now to clean up the 2 chucks.

So it might just need adjusting... that is good news.

So it might just need adjusting... that is good news.
Hi all my Heros

I have limited experience with a lathe so bear with me please. A friend gave me a Logan 820 from 1947. It has been siting for ~20 years. It was used for hobby use its whole life. Dirty but no rust. I am cleaning it up and learning how it is built. It has some minor issues. A few loose screws, missing screws, very small dings on the bed. What worries me most is the play in the Compound hand wheel and the same in the Saddle. Both are about .045". Is that normal? If not what is normal. Everything moves smoothly. No broken anything that I have found yet. Every thing seems to work as near as I can tell.

After cleaning it and oiling I am impressed by how smooth everything moves. No detectable wear on any gears, screws, bearings, or bed. The cross feed was not working. I U tubed for information. When I disassembled the apron the key locking the gear cross feed fell out. It was not in place. I replaced it and tightened up the handle to keep it in place. Reassembled the unit and it works. Not to happy with the way the key is retained.

What oil is used in the apron? How does one oil the quick change gears where the levers are?

The machine is missing the pully cover. I this a big deal? Should I try to get one?

A 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck were included. I disassembled them, cleaned, and greased them. They seem to show no wear that is obvious. I really do not yet know how good they are.

How important is it to obtain a follow rest and steady rest. Where from? I do not seem to get consistent information on which ones will work on my Logan 820.

How important is it to precision level this machine?

It came with KDK Tool post and a few tool holders. Not impressed with them. I am thinking of getting AXA style tool holder and associated tooling kit from PM. PM has a tooling kit that seems very complete. As a beginner I do not know what is really needed so this kit seems to cover all the bases for now. I have a PM932 with all the bells and whistles. I like it very much.

Any information would be appreciated.

For oil, get a gallon of Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2 - you will be using this for all oiling needs...

Sharing a post from Scott Logan on this:
"
Scott Logan.jpg10/19/21 #41781

Cleaning the lathe and getting rid of all the old grease and gunk is definitely a good start.

We’ve been recommending a very simple lubrication routine.

Mobil Vactra #2 for all the oiling points. This is a way oil (meaning it has a “tacky” additive so it stays in place) that is widely available in gallon jugs.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/60002151

This includes all the oil ports, way surfaces, rotating parts and sliding parts.

This can also be used on the gears, but will have to be reapplied more often than grease.

For the gears, any good quality NLGI #2 grease. Use a light coating on the gears. Keep in mind that grease is very sticky and not only will it stick to the gears, it will also stick to any dirt or chips it come in contact with and will allow them to get between the mating teeth on the gears and could cause damage. For that reason, we do not recommend grease for the gears in the QC Gearbox which is open on the bottom."

Attachments

• LubeInstrFor10-11.pdf
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Follow rest? I got mine directly from Logan - Link: https://store.lathe.com/lp-2414.html

It sits neatly inside one of the drawers... have not had the need to use it yet... and kind of wish I had not spent the money on it... but I wanted to have all the accessories for it, so...

Now, a steady rest, that has been handy for me.... If yours did not come with one, get it. You can try eBay or buy it directly from Scott as well. Best to give him a call or email to validate, based the size of your lathe, which one to get... but here is the link to one... these are not inexpensive...

Center Rest for 11" Lathe

Last edited:
Back