Show us your lathe and mill job setups!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi Guys,

Here is something we can all use-

Please show us, using photos, how you set up a particular job on your mill and lathe.

Please describe the operation, and the setup.

Thanks!

Nelson

Cutting a new reverse tumbler gear on the lathe..............

The last pic shows a hob I tried to make. Didn't work, so I went to a single point tool.

Yes, I made them out of aluminum. They were fairly noisy at first, but the more I use them, the less noisy they become.

Here is one I have just used on a Harrison horizontal mill. I had a 1" diameter shaft which I had to machine a flat on each side of to locate a pulley. This is a common failure on a Westwood ride on mower deck pulley. I have a lathe chuck with an oversize flange with four bolt holes. I clamped and bolted the chuck to the table of the miller, clocked it up, and put the shaft in the chuck. I then put a left hand and right hand milling cutter on the arbor spaced apart at the correct distance, wound the shaft in till it just touched the outside of the cutter, and zeroed the dial. I then dropped the knee and wound the table in and under the cutter till the centre of the job lined up with the centre of the gap between the cutters (1/2" to centre of shaft+width of cutter plus 1/2 of the width of the gap between the cutters) Then took of a test cut of about 5 thou and checked width with calipers, and then milled of at 20 thou per cut to achieve the correct depth. Unfortunately no pictures (I WILL get a camera at the workshop!!!) but you get the idea. the moral of the story is this, I was offered a few rusty old small lathe chucks for virtually nothing by an old mate, and thought "well I will probably never use them, but....." So far I have used nearly ALL of them on one job or another! Never refuse any piece of workholding equipment, if you have a variety as wide as the scope of jobs you may be offered, you will rarely fail!
Phil.

The pictures are great!!!!
You guys make it look so simple........I guess it's the "DO"that makes it happen.
brian

Back