Show us your big old classic Trucks

I think everyone should have one of them beauty's what is it British military?

Master of unfinished projects

Yep, British, here he is doing what he loves best, 65 odd tons on the hook, [video=youtube_share;qFUurpWn3Gs]http://youtu.be/qFUurpWn3Gs[/video]

Last edited:
More ugly trucks for Dranreb.

I was at Imperial War Museum (Duxford) on Mar 28 and spent the day there. Excellent day and a free air display as well. Well worth the trip as well as Hendon where the RAF museum is located.

In the Land Warfare building I found a couple ugly trucks. In camo is the Albion CX22 Heavy Artillery Tractor and the yellow is the AEC Matador Gun Tractor. I like the look of the Albion but not the Matador. Funny how vehicles named Matador are not very nice looking here in America nor in the UK.
Pierre

I know the guy who joint owned that Albion, not sure if he still does though, it only came out to play a couple of times a year as it is a bit of a beast on modern roads, due to width and slow speed. The early ones where even uglier as they shared the Matador upright cab, if you look closely you will see the cab fitted is a widened Matador one with the windscreen sloped backward in a vain attempt to improve the looks..it was not a successful truck, and lot liked by users.

The Matador was arguably the most successful British army truck of WW2, it is as tough as they come and will just shrug off over loading and extreme abuse.

Bernard

Last edited:
Here are a couple of my 1930 Thorne B1, pretty rare 7 1/2 trucks known. A 4 cylinder Buda H173 drives a generator that drives a motor at the rear axles "electro-motive" They also had 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, in 1927 when it was designed only Chrysler had 4 wheel hydraulic brakes. Most of their trucks were sold to dairies and bakeries for home delivery in cities. Hertner Electric who made the generators and motors is still in business in Cleveland, they also built a few B series and the only C1 that belongs to Rutter Dairy in York, Pa. Thorne's main plant was in Chicago, Ward and Niblack Thorne were brothers who designed the truck and built the company, approximately 3000 trucks were built. I was fortune enough to talk to and correspond with Niblack before his death, and still communicate with Bif Florey the son of Thorne's head engineer and a few other Thorne owners.

tgeb1a2.jpgtgeb1a1.jpg
If you know of someone who has one have them get in contact with me thru the website.

tgeb1a1.jpg tgeb1a2.jpg

This is my '67 IH 1100B Travelall. I found it wayyyyy out in the Sierra Nevada mountains, had been sitting under that tree for 11 years unstarted. Son of owner (who had passed away) gave it to me for free with a promise to fix it up and not part it out.

Found it here...
LSIDE.jpg

Got it all buffed up and running right...

LeftFrontBuffandWax.jpg

Now it gets used for hauling stuff around...

LeavingCalifornia2.jpg

Eventually it will get pulled apart and a full restoration done.

I just love my old classic jeep trucks--- the two 4X4 Willys overlands bigger pickups are both 1950s, and the small 4X4 short one is a 1946 Willys.--the Suzuki sidekick is 1992
Dave

DSCF0047.JPGDSCF0051.JPGNormas flowers aug 2nd 2012 052.jpgNormas flowers aug 2nd 2012 053.jpgpics to sort from laptop 030.jpgpics to sort from laptop 049.jpgpics to sort from laptop 053.jpg92 SIDEKICK.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG DSCF0051.JPG Normas flowers aug 2nd 2012 052.jpg Normas flowers aug 2nd 2012 053.jpg pics to sort from laptop 030.jpg pics to sort from laptop 049.jpg pics to sort from laptop 053.jpg 92 SIDEKICK.JPG

A couple pictures from the Rods and Relics show this weekend.

The tow truck, I did not see the owner but I wondered if it was based on the CARS movie. The big Ford sure showed up vs the little guys behind it.
Pierre

chev-tow-truck1.jpg chev-towtruck.jpg trucks.jpg

Man I love the old Flexible I grew up not far from where they were built in Loudenville, Oh. There are still some in use in Hawaii I think. Not very nice but here's a picture of my first bus a GMC 4905 aka Buffalo

Correct Charley, Catalina Island Tours. They were the original fleed bought by Wrigleys Chewing gum.
Reason was Mr Rigley preferred the Flxible cause inside they resembled a DC 3. They were all restored
by Binder Industries in Calf. As well as the famous open White tour buses of Yellowstone. For a while
they were replaced with ugly shoe boxes and people sqalked, so under contract with Ford Motor Co.
all the old Whites were refitted with P450 chassis. I strongly beleive you lose your history you
loose your soul. samuel

Im loving those old Jeep pickups as well! I used to have a 61 CJ5. And l always wanted a Willys pickup!!

Chris

Very nice Bigfoot!!!!! What's the specs on it? Is it an original Marmon-Herrington?

Chris

Back