Show us your big old classic Trucks

Thank you Samuel!!! I would love to have an old flat head powered truck to drive every day!!!

Chris

Some great vehicles here, thanks for sharing!

Not "really" big, but I loved her when I owned her a few years ago.

DSC00032.JPG

DSC00047.JPG

Dave

DSC00032.JPG DSC00047.JPG

"Big" isn't quite the right work, but Classic sure is.

P5.jpg

She is a 1952 Land Rover. Back in '52 there was the only model made so it was just called "The Land Rover" . Today this model is known as Land Rover Series 1-80".
I found it sitting under a tree where it had been for 23yrs. Paid $100 for it and dragged her home. I named her "Runcle" (run-sil) and 10 months and mucho dinero, and she was back on the road. I kept one thing in mind, she earned the dents, so she kept them. :))

A fantastic beastie, she is used regularly in the bush and is often called on to pull much newer and bigger trucks out of the mud. Top speed around 60mph, but lots of complaining. Much happier at 45-50mph. Also, her drum brakes were barely adequate in 1952 traffic. today they are... "challenging". Definitely not a highway or big city commuter.

Here she is with one of her friends a mid '60s Unimog, shortly after pulling her friend 30 miles out of the bush (broken fuel pump).

Big & Small.JPG

You may have noticed the winch on the front of Runcle. It is an old Warn mechanical that was given to me. (One day this guy ran out onto the road as I was passing by and stopped me. He said, "You need a winch for that truck. I have an old one in the basement I want you to have." Those days don't happen often enough for me... :) ) After much head scratching I decided not to mount it via a dog clutch to the front of the crankshaft, the way the original capstan accessory winches did, but to convert it to run hydraulically via a transmission pto. Had to learn about hydraulics to do that. Oh my aching head. Works great. Based on what I've dragged out of the mud, I figure it is now good for at least 12000 lb. Have to tie Runcle to a very big tree for that kind of pull, mind you. :))

Martin

P5.jpg Big & Small.JPG

Thats so sweet there are times for a winch snatch blocks then you can lift your new mill with.
I found some more pic s back in our day when my bones didnt hurt. My ole man liked them Whites
I liked my Big Job Fords. again snowed in Sam .....

Photo #3 1950 F8 Dads former machine shop then built the present large shop in 1980

2-15-2009 1;35;39 PM.jpg 2-15-2009 1;38;00 PM.jpg 2-15-2009 1;43;19 PM.jpg 2-15-2009 1;48;10 PM.jpg 2-15-2009 1;41;02 PM.jpg

Do Buses count ??

More snowed in photos. This is my other side of the family my Uncles bus co. about 123 school buses
thirteen coaches. Thats my early roots in his maching facility mainly straight eight Buicks in the Clippers
then we purchased Visicoaches all Detroit in those. When he and my father retired I held the ICC
rights till insurance- DOT Natzis- ICC reg.s- I hung it up. This is the last one I sold in 2009 . Seems so
every thing or buisness adventure got a choker chain around their neck; then wonder about jobs and
the economy. Competitors didnt do it gov. regs did. Over the years I am known as the Flxible
expert. Hard to part with, but I have a substantial amount of Clipper & Visicoach NOS parts to be put
on evil bay or something. In closing I have deep respect for "Krispy Cream and Budwiser Co" to
once again tour the country in restoring a Flxible which A/Busch commisioned from Flxible for a special
purpose coach on a B9 platform.

also I do not want to be bordom to all you nice people, I am deversified but I do not do ladders, spyders
snake dont bother me (dont have any here) gotta go plow snow now samuel

4-2-2011 1;57;54 PM.jpg now paint before the striping.jpg bus eng..JPG cruiser_side.jpg miller.jpg 4-28-2010 8;24;53 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Current Bus 336 this is the bus.bmp
    413.2 KB · Views: 24
  • miller 1.bmp
    492.8 KB · Views: 19
i really like the mack dump truck. . . it has major "class". and those flexibles, really long. i had a chance to get a shorter version that had the buick straight 8 in it and partially doneup into a camper.
i kick myself in the butt many times over that decision.
swmbo was not impressed with the "look" of it. . damm.

i really like the mack dump truck. . . it has major "class". and those flexibles, really long. i had a chance to get a shorter version that had the buick straight 8 in it and partially doneup into a camper.
i kick myself in the butt many times over that decision.
swmbo was not impressed with the "look" of it. . damm.

I still have two Buick Fireball 8's in the trailer named correctly FB320 "Flxible Buick 320 cic"
and they still used them as far as 1956 when their stock ran out. Then gas White Mustangs- Diesel
Detroil 4-71 s

Man I love the old Flexible I grew up not far from where they were built in Loudenville, Oh. There are still some in use in Hawaii I think. Not very nice but here's a picture of my first bus a GMC 4905 aka Buffalo

Old bus and Harley.JPG

More ugly trucks for Dranreb.

I was at Imperial War Museum (Duxford) on Mar 28 and spent the day there. Excellent day and a free air display as well. Well worth the trip as well as Hendon where the RAF museum is located.

In the Land Warfare building I found a couple ugly trucks. In camo is the Albion CX22 Heavy Artillery Tractor and the yellow is the AEC Matador Gun Tractor. I like the look of the Albion but not the Matador. Funny how vehicles named Matador are not very nice looking here in America nor in the UK.
Pierre

Albion CX22 Heavy Artillery Tractor.jpg AEC Matador Gun Tractor 4x4.jpg

Back