Show us how you keep your shop cool during the dog days of summer!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
We've had a heat wave here of late, and, as much work as I have to get my small shop in the basement in shape, it's been brutal.

How do you guys keep your shop cool? (Photos would be great!!)

Nelson

I had to replace my furnace a few years ago, and had them install a central A/C unit at the same time. Always ran window units in the house prior to that. They had to replace all the duct work in the basement and I had them install a pair of registers at each end of the main trunk. I just open them up when I'm down there working, and close them when I'm not. So now my basement shop is fully heated in the winter, and ice cold in the summer.

Don't hate. :D

It's sweltering in my basement shop today. I am framing some walls around the oil tank and putting a shelf over it (it's in my shop space) and I am soaked. Have taken one shower already- this is really uncomfortable, but I want to get this done today.

Nelson

Fortunately, it doesn't get that hot here in Seattle. At least, not for more than a few days. When that happens, the shop is closed, and Mikey is in his AC'ed office, playing on the computer!

I am not a big fan of air conditioning, but I live south of Houston, TX. Last year I broke down and bought a 18,000 BTU wall unit after selling a lathe I reconditioned. One of the best purchases I ever made. Until then I survived with a ceiling fan and a squirrel cage blower.

Randy

A window a/c. Not only does it keep the shop and me cool but, it keeps the humidity at bay and the tools and guns rust free.
Bobby

Dave,
I have been using that Big Fan line for years. You are among the @1% that caught it. Good on ya! Glad you enjoyed it.

Randy

Back