Show Off You Ars

+1 on the .458 Socom, it's a lot of fun - if you have masochistic tendencies! Lol. Seriously though, I do enjoy shooting it. 'Noticeable' recoil is right, put 20 rounds through it and you know you've done something.
It's a great round, has fed flawlessly thru my AR since I built it.

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have fallen victim to the multiple caliber AR bug. So far I'm in for the 5.56 (no surprise), 300 Blackout (now that suppressors are legal for hunting here), 6.5 Grendel (in the works), and a friend just sent me some 450 Bushmaster brass (so now I have to build that one). I also have an AR357, which is the ballistic equivalent to the 357 Maximum round. Here's the developement story. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=28383.0 (Closer to 35 Remington ballistics I believe.)

The 45/70 may prove to be problematic due to the rim diameter. Rimmed cartridges don't feed well from straight magazines. Especially rounds with a large rim. If you want the 45/70 punch, look at the 458 Socom or 450 Bushmaster. Or even the 50 Beowulf. All run fine in the AR15 platform and the rifle handles them well. (The shooter may be a different story as I hear recoil is 'noticeable'.)

The 50 BMG uppers and others are single shot actions that use the AR lower for FCG and buttstock. 45 Colt would be very interesting.

The link isn't working, is there another?

I'm sorry you're having problems viewing the forum. I just tried it and it works for me. You may have to join the forum to see the thread, but I don't think that's the case. Maybe try copying and pasting?

IMG_0245.jpg

Here's an AR build I did a while back. Milled the lower forging on a Haas TM1.

And the final look:

IMG_0388.jpg

A product called Moly Resin. It has held up well on a couple of AR builds.

I've used Moly Resin since the 80s and love it! I have a scrap 1911 slide I coated with it in 1984. I've filed on it, dropped it, kicked it, tossed it, used it as a hammer... The coating is still intact and looks good.

Since everyone wants to show off their rifles and carbines here's something a little shorter. 300AAC with 7in barrel and a 3 color Cerakote finish.IMG_1810.JPG

We want to see them all! Nice camo job. Did you use the templates Cerakote sells? I've got several to camo at some point. Mostly 'his and hers' sets.

Would you do a thread on the camo process? I can't be the only one who wants to see how it's done.

We want to see them all! Nice camo job. Did you use the templates Cerakote sells? I've got several to camo at some point. Mostly 'his and hers' sets.

Would you do a thread on the camo process? I can't be the only one who wants to see how it's done.
The stencils are the high temperature vinyl. Got those from eBay. There are several different sellers and the patterns vary greatly.
I wouldn't mind doing a thread on the next project. I always have something in the works. But I will say that the camo process is very labor-intensive. Especially with three and four color designs. You can even throw some airbrushing in to help blend things. It is quite the ballet of balancing with prepping ,preheating ,painting and baking both polymer and metal parts. Both of which flash cure at different times . Once you figure that out, it's a piece a cake . Single colors are nice also .

IMG_1809.JPG

Back