show me your mill guards

777mechanic

Active User
Registered
so i'm on project number 10 on the mill and have about that many burns from flying metal so show me what your using to block the flying meteors . really surprised at how long they stay hot and melt into your flesh .

Here are a couple of different methods I use.

You may recognize this as my avatar picture. This shows a 1/4 inch acrylic in an extruded aluminum window channel that is clamped to the table. Just pull the plastic out of the rail to get to the work. I use this when I am running a lot of parts, where it makes sense set up the rail.
IMG_0141.jpg

Sometimes I just use a piece of plywood attached to a chunk of 2x4 that I can place on the table and move around as needed, just to keep the chips from going in a certain direction.

This is piece of Lexan I sometimes just prop up on the table for a temp shield.
IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg IMG_0403.jpg

Yep, i like to use Sandvik R390 inserts on my mills. If the chips aren't coming off red hot, you're not pushing it enough. This insert doesn't like coolant.

First step is cut right to left so chips nearly all fly backward. if facing cut the back part first.

I do have a couple plexiglass guard that bolt to the back of the vise, and i have a couple piece of scrap sheet metal. Works sometimes, other times not so much. Then i just stand back.

If you're using regular carbide EMs, a fogless mister can reduce the ships temp. by a ton. I posted my build, I see several others have done the same.

Karl

I shoot all my chips to the back left side of the bridgie, makes cleanup easy and no hot chips on the arms. I don't mill steel often so the chips are not hot anyhow.

Come to think of it, my mill gets 90% aluminum and my lathe gets 90% steel....

I wont lie, when I am removing metal I dont much care which way I am going. Just back and forth. Takes to long to return to the other side. I get chips every where. I'll be watching some ideas

I made this little shield out of Lexan for a few bucks. I mounted it on a dovetail for quick removal. It only works with my mill vise though so far, which is what I use about 75% of the time. I added some filler pieces of modeling plastic (polypropylene) to the bottom edge to close it off and it works great! You can see in the pic, about 60% of those chips would have been all over me and the floor. For clean-up, I vac what I can and then blow it all to the wall. At the end of a procedure or project, I vac the floor.

Rick

.IMG_0860.JPGIMG_0861.JPGIMG_0863.JPGIMG_0872.JPGIMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0875.JPG

This is a face shield that I used, held on with Magnets that are adjustable, will post one of the mini mill, I call it trash bagging, Cajun Lathe

sheild2_zpsa9fb2d45.jpg
sheild_zpsbc9608ee.jpg

sheild2_zpsa9fb2d45.jpg

sheild_zpsbc9608ee.jpg

sheild2_zpsa9fb2d45.jpg

sheild_zpsbc9608ee.jpg

You all this is something that I put on my HF Mini Mill X2, it is a trash bag that I set on the table, set up the milling vise, then assemble the iron rack and pin it in place with the cotter pins, use metal paper clamps to hole it to the rods, works great can see over the top with ease, I have that light that works great when done un pin it fold up the bag and no mess on the mill, me or the floor, building a taper attachment for the mini lathe on it now when done going to paint the rack the color of the mill, I can post measurements if interested made from 1/4 rods with 3/8" nuts, I now use a magnet on the column to hold up the back, I used to spend more time cleaning than milling.
DSCN2183_zpsd72ced40.jpg
DSCN2184_zps6c4c1223.jpg
DSCN2191_zps9c367ba1.jpg

DSCN2183_zpsd72ced40.jpg

DSCN2184_zps6c4c1223.jpg

DSCN2183_zpsd72ced40.jpg

DSCN2191_zps9c367ba1.jpg

DSCN2184_zps6c4c1223.jpg

DSCN2191_zps9c367ba1.jpg

Back