Should I Use A Reversing Motor

bobbyjim

Registered
Registered
Need a little advice on the way to go. I have an old Atlas/Craftsman 12" and want to replace the motor. So yesterday I found an old Atlas 618 that had the perfict motor a good heavy duty, 1/3HP Delco, even has 5/8" shaft out one end and a 1/2" on the other. This 618 was all set up with this reversing motor and reversing switch. But is it a good idea to keep it as a reversing motor or should I just go back to one direction? Why did the 618 have reversing motors and the 10" & 12" not have them?

Next thing is if I change the cord it now has 4 wires out of the motor. Looks like 3 and a ground wire. If I can change the cord to a 3 wire (2 & a ground) that would eleminate the red wire which was the extra wire. Would this be right?

If there is any advantage to reversing or disadvantage (spinning chuck off or ?) let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
A reversing motor is a nice feature. I don't use mine a lot but when I need it it is great. But I don't have a screw on chuck either. The only negatives I see are the chuck screwing off and the annoyance of flipping the motor on in reverse when you want it to be going forward. There are ways to lock the chuck in place. If you do, it can allow you to thread from the shoulder down. As has been noted on other threads it provides for somewhat safer filing and sanding. I use mine in reverse most often removing rust from rusted rounds. In reverse the stock runs counter to my grinder wire brush in my most comfortable position.

I would go ahead and do it. With that motor, you aren't going to introduce a lot of instant torque in the wrong direction.

Randy,

It was an option for all the Atlas lathes. It was not standard.

The reversing on 10/12" Atlas was in using the drum switch. The motor is a plain old motor.

As to having one. It is very handy as in previous post. Also to return the carriage back to the start position when cutting metric threads the reversing of the motor is the best way.

You should not spin off the chuck in normal usage. I have not, YET! The biggest risk of this happening is if you are in the higher rpm range. In the lower speeds like when threading it will not spin off.

With a 4hp motor I'd be very worried. If that machine was thrown into reverse while rotating forward the potential for serious damage is significant!

Mayhem,
The solutions usually involve cross drilling or key ways. What kind of lathe do you have and how much space(clearance) do you have between the lathe and chuck? You may be able to use a type of pinch device in some cases.

Randy

I have two lathes with threaded headshafts and must watch that the chucks do not come loose when the motors are reversed. I also am interested in a locking device.

On the Grizzly G9249 I have gears that allow metrec threads but I understand that the Half=nuts must remain engaged thus requiring a reversable motor. I do not have the gears required for metric threading for my Clausing MK III.

Ray

I have seen chucks with a pin that engages the spindle. These were modified by the owners. Will have to search the net to find them.

One style is a threaded bolt that is in the shoulder of the spindle. That is the area that the chuck registers on. What one does is screw on the chuck and then drill a hole that is both in the spindle and the chuck. You have two halves of the hole in each piece. You then thread that hole. Now both pieces are threaded and the bolt will hold the chuck in place. This system has been used in firearm industry for decades.

Other poeple have used a shot pin. That is a spring loaded pin that is either on the chuck or the spindle shoulder area again. One has to have a rod or handle to retract the pin to remove the chuck.

Back