Should I replace the chuck in Jet lathe?

okent

Active User
Registered
I've got a 9X20 Jet lathe and was wondering if there would be any benefit in swapping out the stock chuck or get a collet
The spindle nose is threaded 1/2X8 TPI.

I haven't checked what the runout is with my current chuck. Is that done at some set distance from the end of the jaws?

Thanks, I'm really new at machining.

the stock chuck is probably fine for most parts if you keep in mind that what ever the chuck is out does not affect the part your making as long as you do not remove the part before it is done. if the part the chuck is holding is the waste everything from the chuck out will be true as long as the lathe is trammed correctly. longer parts should be center drilled and held at the end with a live or dead center. if your going to have to turn the entire part accurate then concider turning between centers. collet chucks are nice but limited in use and size of material. I have a collet chuck on my 9x20 but very seldom use it. it is best used when i need to grind or turn a shaft concentric to it's diameter like grinding down a ballscrew to mount a bearing on the end.
I hope that helps
steve

2x what Steve says.

I'd check the runout on the current chuck before anything else. The one that came on my 9x20 is very accurate for a scroll chuck. One of the 1st things I did for it was a 6" 4jaw, which allows offset drilling, square holding, larger parts and accurate positioning for repair work.

Steve

Back