Should I pick up this south bend?

Metal

Registered
Registered
QejPEVR.jpg

As far as I can tell i tis a 10k, looks like a 4 ft bed, runs

Dude wants 600, I have no problem with spending my winter restoring it.

Anyone know from the style of the front door if it is the american or korean one?
Anyone know how heavy the parts are when broken down?

Looks like a heavy 10L to me , large dials , hard to tell but looks like a large spindle bore , lever clutch , if the ways aren't wasted ied get it for 600. Or less

I am with dlane, looks like a Heavy 10 (10L).

I was able to manhandle the headstock on my Heavy 10 to remove for cleaning.

The cabinet and the lathe bed will be the two heaviest items. You may need to remove the motor and countershaft from the cabinet to move this if you are doing this single handed.

You will need to remove the banjo to remove the gearbox and the lead screw. Need to support the lead screw as you remove this.

This picture shows one of the studs which hold the headstock to the lathe bed. A second one under the spindle behind a splashplate.

Southbend_Heavy_10_banjo_gears_removed_2861.jpg

Once the gearbox is removed you will be able to get to the locknut for the lead screw.

Southbend_Heavy_10_gearbox_lead_screw_lock_nut_2934.jpg

Might be a little heavy to pickup by yourself

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Thanks dave, that looks identical to my small (totally clapped out) south bend, more or less
any idea what the bed might weigh without the headstock/stand but with the rest still attached?

I expect the lathe bed is over 500 lbs. If the leadscrew is removed the saddle is easy to remove from the apron, only a few bolts. I would remove these items before trying to move the lathe bed.

I Bought a 2 ton engine hoist used off Craigslist a few years back for around a hundred bucks. I use it to move everything heavy. Lathes, mills, my big camel back drill Press. Even lift and reset height on my DP head when it gets sticky. Best investment I ever made. Buy or borrow one of these things and moving that SB would be a snap.

Glenn

Back