Should I just use motor oil?

D

dickda1

Forum Guest
Register Today
I currently have a grizzly 12x24. This is my 5th or 6th lathe, having bought, repaired and resold a bunch others.

I have way oil - this is covered.

But, I wonder if it is worth shelling out $15-16 a gallon for Mobil (or equivalent) spindle oil. I have read advice on these forums in this regard. Should I just go out and buy some 20 weight, non detergent oil? Is there anything magical about dedicated spindle oil?

I have just used either regular non-detergent oil or just Way oil on the lathe spindle at home and at work. I have never had the lathes on their top speeds at either place and that is where spindle oil MAY have the edge but I do not know. Most lathes likely have never seen spindle oil except when originally built.

Spindle oil is pretty cheap from places like Enco. BUT DTE 26 is a common hydraulic oil that Tractor Suppy and places like that carry. It is fine for ball bearing spindles. It is high purity, and and excellent lubricity. It's good for dissimilar metal assemblies.

My lathe is an antique (1939) the manual says to use 20 weight oil.

Make sure it's non detergent. It's my understanding that detergent oil suspends any particles, so they can be filtered, where non detergent will let them drop to the bottom and not cause wear to the gears.

I have been using 303 hydraulic transmission oil in my lathe for the past 20 years with no ill effects. Mainly because I always have some on hand. It makes for easy starts during the winter season.
This does not mean I am suggesting anyone use 303 oil in their machines.

Bill

Any good quality hydraulic oil should be fine for your lathe. If you refer to the lubrication specs for heavy machines like K & T and Cincy mills thats what they call for. I think the real need for a dedicated spindle oil would be for high speed grinding spindles.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a question that gets debated endlessly. FWIW, a friend has a 1923 SB and we use Castrol Syntec in the spindle, 5W-20 if I remember right. Seems to work fine, detergent and all. Syntec is known for very high film strength compared to other synthetics. Our tractor supply place only carries 32AW (anti-wear) hydraulic fluid, nothing thinner. IMO, that would work just fine too.

CH

The detergent factor has more importance when its used in a circulating system,, mainly a gearbox with ball or roller bearings etc. Just to oil a bearing, most any oil is fine as long as its not too heavy.

There is a Tractor Supply near me and I will go with the hydraulic oil. Decided to keep a teflon coated magnet in the oil bath to scavenge metal debris at least for the first year of operation or so. Chemists call them magnetic stirring rods. I was an engine engineer at Ford Motor years ago and worked with lubrication engineers. I understand the situation for an automobile engine, but am happy that I got some good advice from experienced machine owners. This forum is particularly helpful. Thanks again!

Then you know something of tribology. I have worked in fluids filtration for lube oils. Interesting stuff. I'm sure you'll be ok with hydraulic oil.

Back