should I convert these?

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
I was able to purchase a nice set of holesaws from a retired machinist. All all new from the appearance. I chuck them up up in a R8 collet and if they bind they slip. I have ruined 1 collet so far due to slippage. (They were tight!) My question, should I convert them from R8 collet to a 3 sided drill shaft? Pro, cons?tmp_17593-20170305_1840001810327084.jpg tmp_17593-20170305_1840001810327084.jpg

tmp_17593-20170305_1840132013812056.jpg

What speed are you running, what are you cutting, and are you lubricating/cooling? Mike

What speed are you running, what are you cutting, and are you lubricating/cooling? Mike
RPM - 60. Lowest I can go on my mill. Lube - Yes, tap and die cutting fluid. Lots of it. Cutting mild steel up to 1" thick. Cutter wall thickness is .100. These are beefy hole saws. Havent come across any like this before. They are capable of being resharpened. But when they grab they slip.

The cutting edges seem inconsistent, If some teeth are protruding further than others it would be prone to grab. Try setting it on a flat surface and see if it rocks, and if the shank is square to the same surface. Looks like a nice tool. Mike

Setting flat it appears consistent. I got a set of 6 sizes. All are identical.

Mill is a full size Bridgeport Clone. I have tried feeding with the quill and knee both. when it bites it bites hard! Saws are razor sharp on cutting edges.

Just worried if I cut flats on the shaft it might lock into the drill chuck or break something.

I would guess the bridgeport is not the problem, it is more than beefy enough to turn those cutters, try another arbor, the round shaft that is on the cutter is causing the problem, the ones I use typically have 8 sides {?}. You should be able to go to any hardware store, lowes, homedepot and pick up one for 10.00 dollars or so that will work fine for those hole saws. Lennox brand are good ones, they have 2 different arbor sizes, they screw into the hole saw cutter. My guess they will work with one of them. I have boxes of lennox cutters I have used or new laying around here, Also 1/2 dozen or so arbors of different makes and sizes.

HTH

Those cutters look like beasts!!! Take care of them, I'm jealous!

Rich

Last edited:
Back