Should I buy this Emco Compact 8?

That gear set looks like it's for a compact 5, I just took a look. Does it fit the 8 also? I thought they were different

Mark, glad you looked. That set doesn't have the specified gears for the Compact 8. It should have the following gears: 20, 35, 40, 50, 55, 65, 70, 75 and a spacer that you can make. I think your best bet is to contact ProMachineTools and see if he has a set.

Hard to tell from pics, Jeff, but the lathe looks to be in decent condition. Here is what I see:
  • Again, no carriage stop but he does seem to have a thread dial indicator.
  • He did the mod to replace the cross slide handle housing that was prone to cracking.
  • He is also using a plinth under the tool post, which is why he can use that QCTP. The original compound is there but to use a QCTP on it you will need to modify the post. Probably better just to use his current plinth. Unlike the import 9X lathes, the compound on the Compact 8 works well as it is and does not need a modified ring.
  • The original steady and follow rests are there. These alone will run well over $100 each, used on ebay if you can even find them.
  • That is not an Emco chuck. He has jaws for a Soul chuck so maybe that is what it is. Soul, at least at one point in time, was the largest chuck manufacturer in Japan and made many chucks for Japanese industry. Good chucks.
  • Has an extra main pulley and belt. Also spare main leadscrew supports that can crack under heavy use if the end play is not adjusted properly. Easy to adjust, though.

I would say this lathe is well tooled, Jeff. As far as I know, the bed on the Compact 8 was not hardened and that is about the only thing I see that needs to be looked at closely. Nothing else is jumping out at me at this point. The problem is that I'm looking for something that will allow you to negotiate him down and nothing is visible. One thing you can do is to spin the chuck with the lathe cold. If the spindle rotates more than 1-1.5 revolutions then the spindle bearing preload needs to be adjusted. If it is really loose then you might suggest that the spindle bearings might be going; that would bring the price down a bit. The bearings are simple to change and adjust but I'm looking for a way to get the price down and I'm just not seeing it. His price really is fair for what he is presenting here.

Edit: thinking about it, this lathe is fully tooled up except for the change gear set. It doesn't make sense that a guy who outfits a lathe this completely does not have that gear set. You might want to ask him about it. He may have it and forgot to show it or he plans to sell it for more money on ebay. Something tells me this guy would own that set.

The common 9x19 / 9x20 lathe that Jet, Enco, Grizzly etc sell was copied from the Compact 8. I don't know if there is any direct parts exchange but there is a very active online community related to these lathes. While the measurements might not match up a lot of the mods will probably carry over. The compound on the 9x is often modified to increase ridgity and making an even more solid plinth is common, and apparently the seller has already done this.

I picked up an Enco 9x20 last year and for a small lathe I think these are a nice size, similar capability but more compact than a lot of small 10" lathes. I would assume the Emco 8 is built to a better quality.

Well, just to put and end to this thread, the lathe was sold. He did text me and tell me that the lowest he'd take was $900. I just decided to be happy with mine. It's got a bigger swing, I have all the tooling and it's been fun getting to know it. Had I really needed a lathe, I think this would have been a good buy. Thanks to all for your help and info, I really appreciate it.

Back