Should a VFD always be in an enclosure?

Here is what I did with mine. Mounted VFD with line filter in a sealed box on the side of the Mill Stand. Wired in remote control panel for operating mill. The enclosure was cheap on ebay. Control panel was home made using boxes and switches from ebay. Never have to open the box to the VFD. Heat buildup hasn't been an issue.

383526.jpg

383525.jpg

383520.jpg

383526.jpg 383525.jpg 383520.jpg

Being new to this forum, my two cents isn't worth much. Having said that, I'm going to throw it in anyway. I've had a VFD for over a year and I mounted it right on my mill drill. It's up high and away from any crud or chips. There is a small fan that keeps it cool. I wouldn't think of putting it in an enclosure. I'm going to buy another one for a knee machine and surface grinder I just got. Nope, not going to put them in an enclosure. I want them where they can get plenty of air. I may be wrong but it's my dollar and I want them to stay as cool as possible.

WDG - your two cents is worth just as much as mine, and I've been babbling along here for a few months.
Both of my VFDs are out in the open for the exact same reason you mention - so they can stay cool when my non-air-conditioned shop hits 100 in the summer. I figure as long as I don't use it as a rest for the coffee cup, and keep the swarf from flying into the top, then it should be safe.

Joe

Back