Shortening Magazine Tube For A Pump Rifle?

Bluedog

Registered
Registered
I bought a replacement inner magazine tube for a .22 pump rifle and I need shorten it a bit. I have removed the catch pin which I thought would be holding the knurled knob, spring, and plunger in place. Then I was going to cut that end of the tube to length, drill a new hole for the pin, and shorten the spring. That was the plan, but the knob will not come out with the pin removed. Is the knob normally pressed in the tube? I thought it might have loctite, so I heated the tube with no luck. Anybody know how these are normally put together? Any ideas how I can get it out without damaging the finish on the knurled knob? I thought about cutting the tube with it assembled then driving the knob out of the piece. I would have to cut it off near the knob because I will probably cut the spring also. I could then cut it again at the right length with the spring out so I don't end up the spring too short. Sound like a plan? Any better ideas?
Thanks!

Photos would help a lot. If you're talking about the brass inner tube with the follower and spring, then yes, it should come out with the pin removed. I wouldn't want to guess what's holding yours in without seeing some details.

You could turn down the tube rather than cutting it. You won't endanger the spring that way. Proceed slowly. When the wall thickness get thin enough, you should be able to break the knob free. Once you separate the parts, you can cut the tube to the proper length and reassemble.

Note that this is making some assumptions concerning the assembly method. Assumptions have a way of biting back so approach with caution.

Run a drill bit through the hole to make sure there isn't a lip or burr holding the end cap in.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I had already checked for burrs from the holes with no luck, and this tube is stainless steel. I ended up turning it down as suggested and it went well. The knob was pressed in. Definitely no parts flying across the room with the pin removed. I actually took a skim cut on the shank of the knob to make it possible to reassemble it.
Thanks again.

Back