Shortening A S&w Grip Screw.

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
There is a zillion ways to do it but this was how I did it today. Buddy bought some new grips and there were 4 screws included. 2 too short and 2 too long. So I trimmed one to suit with my SB lathe and 1/8" collet chuck. Pretty simple and looks better...Bob

1361.JPG 1363.JPG 1364.JPG 1365.JPG 1367.JPG

Hi Bob,

Did you make that collet holder?
If not, what make is it?
What size collets does it take?

Thanks
-brino

Picture two, showing the tool bits stacked for thickness.....I thought I was the only one doing that, figured everyone else had an Aloris type tool holder.

Picture two, showing the tool bits stacked for thickness.....I thought I was the only one doing that, figured everyone else had an Aloris type tool holder.
No I tend to shy away from the way everyone else does and use how I was taught. Plus its cheaper...Bob

Now that's real purty, but too time consuming for a busy shop. Why no cut it off with a Dremel cutoff disc, smooth it down with the belt sander and cold blue the end? Or am I missing something. I've shortened hundreds of screws over the years and the Dremel method is quick, efficient and looks great.

Now that's real purty, but too time consuming for a busy shop. Why no cut it off with a Dremel cutoff disc, smooth it down with the belt sander and cold blue the end? Or am I missing something. I've shortened hundreds of screws over the years and the Dremel method is quick, efficient and looks great.
That's why I said there is a zillion ways to do this. I don't have either a Dremel or a belt sander. Nope you didn't miss anything it was just easier this way for me. Thanks...Bob

Handiest time saving gizmo you will ever make in less than 1/2 hour----- 2 pieces of steel banding material approx 3/4 x 4 in. Take one piece and draw a line running lenghtwise kinda center full length,. Starting 1/4 in. in on one end drill a .o93 hole. then move over approx 1/4 again and drill a .125 hole. move over 1/4 again and drill a .156 hole. then move all the way over till you are 1/4 from opposite end and drill 1/8. deburr all holes and place this drilled piece on top of undrilled piece, aligning all edges. Clamp together and drill thru end with single 1/8 hole thru existing hole so you have a hole clear thru both pieces. Then thru both pieces put a 5-40 screw and lock nut. TO USE --- spread open like scissors and place screw you need to shorten in one of the 3 holes so head is preventing it from falling thru. Close like scissors untill banding with no holes is pushing on screw head. Hold securly in hand and lightly grind screw on bench or pedestal grinder. I have one of these that is over 40 yrs old I have shortened hundreds of screws @ 10 seconds per screw. I added a couple holes over the years for different screws. A rivet can be used if you don't have a 5-40 screw and lock nut.

# One zillion and one:
For trimming screws, I use a crimping tool. Many of them have a shear for trimming screws. Years ago, I modified mine by running a tap through while lightly squeezing to cut partial threads on the shear side. It tends to seat the thread and prevent smearing. A light dressing of the freshly cut face and you're ready to go. The tool can be used as a clamping device by screwing the screw a bit further and lightly pinching. The partial threads will prevent the tool from damaging the screw threads and grip the screw tightly enough to allow dressing the face.

Back