• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

4

Short circuit test

3
Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
10

jim18655

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
512
Likes
361
#31
Upon further review of the picture, it appears only the top is connected. Also must be a 240v connection since there is equal output on both slots.

Seriously though, a volt tick would only indicate a faulty ground if the machine was live and also not grounded. A volt tick won't have anything to sense on an open ground only.
 

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
266
Likes
87
#32
I was trying to find a resource to see how many deaths there are in the USA from in home electrical shocks. It's very hard to find a clear answer. Maybe they want it that way. I am not talking about the idiot who puts a ladder on the high voltage line or a work place accident; just the regular kind of shock you get from a plug or appliance. Some sources also lump in deaths from electrical fires also to inflate the figures. Water seems to be the biggest factor in death versus injury. My suspicion is the number is very low. Looks like Ireland averages about 1 per year.
Robert
I think deaths from household service are rare, and usually involve water, e.g. a bathtub or wet floor. 120V is not enough to cause a fatality through dry skin in most situations. The larger danger (I can attest to this personally) is when you get a shock and jump back, hitting your head on a concrete wall or fall off a ladder.
 

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2013
Messages
1,055
Likes
1,136
#33
Agreed. I looked at the CDC data and it seems to be exclusively work place deaths.
Robert
 

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
6,873
Likes
19,424
#34
I thought maybe it was a kludged connection for a water cooled TIG torch.
 

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2013
Messages
1,055
Likes
1,136
#35
I think deaths from household service are rare, and usually involve water, e.g. a bathtub or wet floor. 120V is not enough to cause a fatality through dry skin in most situations. The larger danger (I can attest to this personally) is when you get a shock and jump back, hitting your head on a concrete wall or fall off a ladder.
Yes, my wife was helping me one time and she got a 120v shock. I almost got killed as a result.
R
 
[6]
5 [7]