Shoptask 1720 XMTC leadscrew shifter

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 1994 1720 XMTC that does not have the lead screw shifter that the later models had. Does or will anyone have pictures of how the shifter works? Shop-task/Shopmaster no longer sells the kit to add it. The shifter gives the ability to have forward reverse neutral on the lead screw. I think this would be a nice feature due to the fact there is no half-nut on these machines. I would like some pictures, experiences etc from someone who has a machine with it. Also does the shifter only allow the lead screw to engage in only one location so that it stays in time with the gear train?. I did find a vendor on the net that sells many of the Shoptask upgrades but have not made contact yet (Allinonetooling.com). I am seriously thinking of building this if not too complicated. I have an idea using bevel gears and a single point dog clutch that I think could be built fairly easy with out much modification to the machine, nothing that could not be reversed. Any help will be appreciated. :thinking:

Did you happen to post this over on the CNCZone Shopmaster/shoptask forum. JT does monitor that forum and there are many more shoptask users there. Just a suggestion. sorry, I have the newer VFD model. also, someone may have the manual on eBay or one of the many 'manual hound' sites that sell them for 15-20 apiece.

Best of luck. , CG.

Countryguy there is some good info there, I think I have read just about every ones 3 in 1 blogs and sites. No my machine is older then that one. I am trying to get time to call JT at Shopmaster. Last time I talked with him I should have asked about the shifter kit. I still have All in one tooling to contact also. Seems to read on his site that he may have built a lot of the Shoptask upgrade stuff.

Back