Shopping for a Shop

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
I am at the point I need more space.

Really want to build a building where I am at, but after reading the local code... I won't be able to add a building of any size next to my house.

Been searching to find a building near by and found a 3300 foot space for rent. Price is acceptable, but if I can buy something I would prefer that.

Any good advice?

toolman_ar

Keep looking, they are out there. Check properly zoned areas local to you for unoccupied buildings. Sometimes things aren't for sale until someone asks, and you may find a bargain. Mike

I have started driving down all the side streets looking for empty buildings. The area I live in, Cahaba Heights, does not have many industrial building spaces not being used.

The one that is close and for sale is way out of my range. Will do some serious searching this weekend.

I am at the point I need more space.

Really want to build a building where I am at, but after reading the local code... I won't be able to add a building of any size next to my house.
I feel your pain. I wanted to put up a large shop in my back yard also. Unfortunately zoning would only allow 850 square feet. So my shop is that exactly.

The code I read states: secondary building not larger than 25% of primary building... accept if the secondary building is for parking for primary building.

My house is 1880 sq feet. If I build a 500 sq foot shop, I cannot fit my truck in the shop. F250 4x4.

Guess I could attach an enclosed walk way between the two and call it attached...

Check with your local zoning office, but the way I read that is that you could build a garage of any size as long as it's for parking for the house. I'm sure there are property fill restrictions, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure you need parking for your motorhome, boat, pickup, and car, plus storage for your yard tools and equipment. And of course heavy power will be required to keep the equipment warm in the winter. ;)

We also have 15' set backs, side and rear.

And fill lines some where in the area I want to build.

But I like your interpretation.

Can you call it a barn and not a shop. :eagerness: Maybe that will work.

Back