• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Shop Press upgrades

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

kvt

Active User
I just picked up a HF 20 ton today also. Thinking of adding the cable lift for raising and lowering, one of the first things. Cheep and with bad back and shoulder may be a definite improvement. Other than that still looking at mods that are in this thread.

ndnchf

I've read of the cable lift too, but not seen any good clear photos of how it's done. Still looking.

kvt

Active User
I saw one that used the item similar to a boat wench but used 2 cables, it was mounted on one side, and had pulleys on the top of each side at the top that the cable road in to make the change in direction.
One side had 2 one for that side and the one to run across the top to the other side, Then The other side had one for the cable to run down. The pulleys were mounted just above the top on the outer corners of the uprights. That way the cable was out of the way above the top and on the outside of each side rail. This was connected to the handles of each side with cable loops. This way you could raise it up lock it, while you put in the pins, Then unlock and lower it down on the pins. If you had good enough pulleys on good shafts you can even raise and lower with your parts on it. This way you could put them on at the height that was comfortable then adjust to what is needed. A plus for people with bad back and shoulders etc.

12bolts

Global Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if Ken is talking about mine or not but thats pretty much how mine is in a nutshell.
IMG_6263a.jpg IMG_6256a.jpg IMG_6253a.jpg
Viewed from the front the winch handle is top left. You can just see the winch drum poking out a bit. Viewed from the back you can see the winch with the 2 cables running off it. One runs down the left upright. The other runs across the top and down the right upright. Attachment is just a cable eye splice onto a u-bolt at each end of the table. I just made little guide rollers out of steel tube on a greased axle to direct the cable where I needed it to go.

Cheers Phil

bss1

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have one of the HF 20 ton presses. It's ok but I wish I had one that was a bit better built. I did some mods which improved it significantly. First thing was to build a new base,

CE29D72A-0BD1-4287-812B-5B39942A48D6.jpg

Then I made an accessory shelf.

73D0DD0F-8957-4D3F-8F03-DE2A6AE9A120.jpg

Then air over hydraulic

AC712D22-0260-4004-BF9B-0802E9AB94DA.jpg

Holder for the air valve.

69FC0623-8A13-4A01-910E-37D0DFA2C687.jpg

6C3DEFD8-DDBA-44A7-9AED-BA87BE39265C.jpg

V blocks

3E523C6D-DE40-49B4-A1B8-4B96B6D7E9D5.jpg

I ended up making another accessory shelf and more tooling but don't have any more pics on my computer at the moment.

kvt

Active User
that almost looks like you made a finger brake for it as well. Ken

bss1

Ken,

It is a finger brake. It is a weld together kit from Swag Off Road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

firestopper

One thing I did different when assembling my HF 2oT was to replace those four long bolts (at the top) with eight grade 5 hardware.
IMG_0730.JPG

Last edited:

ndnchf

How do you attached a second cable to a winch drum designed for one cable? I picked up a winch last night and see how the cable is anchored through the side of the drum opposite the gear. So how should the second cable be anchored for the side close to the gear?

kvt

Active User
As this is not as heavy as a boat, Use a smaller diam cable then both will fit through the hole. Or enlarge the hole. The other way I had thought of is to use one long piece of cable and pt the loop through the hole after ensuring that both ends were long enough to make it where they needed to go. It might not work that way but That was my thoughts. Had seen something similar one time.

12bolts

Global Moderator
Staff member
I just removed the cable from the drum. It was secured to 1 of the flanges, (arrowed) and drilled a hole through the spool to take a bolt. I bent the sides of a washer so as to capture the cable. I found the centre of the cable (not really, because 1 half is longer than the other to reach the other side of the press) bent it back on itself and then just wound the cable back on the drum.
IMG_0270a.jpg IMG_0269a.jpg IMG_0271a.jpg
Now you have 2 ends exiting in the same direction. You want to make sure as practicable as possible that each cable winds on the same amount and that both step up to the next layer at the same time so it continues to wind on/off at the same dia/rev to keep the table from getting cocked over.

Cheers Phil

ndnchf

Thanks Phil, great photos and explanation - that is exactly what I needed. The winch I just bought has the same cable attachment on the side. I should be able to do the same thing you did. I just need to decide it I want the winch on top or the side.

I got my new HF 20 ton press assembled last night. No problems at all. Even the instructions were well written and illustrated. It seems that HF is making an effort to improve their products (at least some of them) and provide good instructions. I put locking casters on it for mobility too. So far so good.

kvt

Active User
Phil thanks, I just have the idea I have not started on mine, just set it up and started using it, to take the head for my lathe apart. Now I have to get the new bearings and seals for the Lathe and put it back together after I get finished cleaning and painting it.

ndnchf

Does anyone know of a good spray paint match for gray Harbor Freight 20 ton press? I'm working on the winch modification and would like to paint a few things. Thanks. Steve

Splat

Active User
Just picked up one of these HF presses...only problem is they gave me the older model one, not the 60603. I didn't even think about it until I got home. Now I gotta bring it back but I'm waiting because none of the local stores have any of the 60603 in stock. I already have some 1/4" UHMW to use for shims for the jack plate and grade-8 hardware that I bought knowing I would get this press soon. Can't wait to get it working. I'm tired of using the old hammer and vise method for making bends. :disgust:

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
I did quite a few mods to my harbor freight 20 ton shop press. I have a playlist on YouTube with 3 videos that I made showing some of the stuff I've done. Check em out for ideas.
Harbor freight 20 to shop press mods

Last edited:

geekwithoutacause

Iron
Registered Member
I did quite a few mods to my harbor freight 20 ton shop press. I have a playlist on YouTube with 3 videos that I made showing some of the stuff I've done. Check em out for ideas.
Harbor freight 20 to shop press mods
Thank you !
What user name are they under ? I see quite a few press modification videos but most are the same thing; install the air/hydraulic jack and some other things..

edit: ok, never mind, I see the links now in the reply I did. For some reason they didn't show in your posting.. !

5 7