Shop Press Tooling

Kevinb71

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi guys!
I just purchased a used Dake 75 ton press for my work shop. Nice condition older unit. The first thing after I got it I realized that just like a lathe or mill a press doesn't do much without accessories. I went to my local scrap supplier and they had some 1 1/2" x 5" wide steel in their "drop" section so I bought 5 30" lengths brought them home and cut one in half making two plain straight blocks. The others will have various half circles and vees cut in them when I figure out what will be most useful. "Suggestions Welcome".

I also know I need some adapters to use with the ram for pressing u-joints, bearings etc as the ram itself is 3" dia with a 3/4" locating post. The main question for this post is what steel to make the "press pin adapters" out of and how to harden and temper them? I am thinking from 1/2" Dia up to 2" Dia and an inverted Vee.

00202_fwG9G5KKD6w_1200x900.jpg

That should do some major pressing :encourage:

For dedicated tooling, I would use 4140 or 4150. Very tough when heat treated and drawn back to around Rockwell C35-40. I just normally grab what ever piece of steel is handy and turn to fit the job as needed. But I'm not doing repeat jobs.

Thats a nice unit. My little 20T has come in handy and like Jim stated, I turn down pieces to do the job at hand. Be very carful and understand the dangers associated when pressing. Look into SWAG products, they offer a nice weld up kit for breaking plate. You can also find decent dies on eBay.

Thanks Jim the Rockwell to temper back to is what I was most interested in finding out. I want to make a set of "standard" pieces and have them for most. If I have a one off the just whatever will do. I haven't done a lot hardening yet so I will have to re-read some info on what color will get 4140 to 35-40.

Paco
I have seen the SWAG unit and will be making one very similar. Thanks!

Hi guys!
I just purchased a used Dake 75 ton press for my work shop. Nice condition older unit. The first thing after I got it I realized that just like a lathe or mill a press doesn't do much without accessories. I went to my local scrap supplier and they had some 1 1/2" x 5" wide steel in their "drop" section so I bought 5 30" lengths brought them home and cut one in half making two plain straight blocks. The others will have various half circles and vees cut in them when I figure out what will be most useful. "Suggestions Welcome".

I also know I need some adapters to use with the ram for pressing u-joints, bearings etc as the ram itself is 3" dia with a 3/4" locating post. The main question for this post is what steel to make the "press pin adapters" out of and how to harden and temper them? I am thinking from 1/2" Dia up to 2" Dia and an inverted Vee.

I love it! I would push my press out of the back of my moving truck to have your press.

Yeah! We straightened some 5/8" plate on a Ditch Witch lift arm. Barely got it in the press, but it didn't even have to work to fix it right up!!

Very nice. My son and I spent a couple of hours pressing out(and back in for new ones) the bearings from two upper control arms Sunday with the 20 ton press. I've grown very fond of these hydraulic presses what with barrel removals and such. Needless to say my son was very impressed and greatfull - saved him a few hundred $$ of shop work according to him......

Back