shop made tools

the hinge thing is the result of not paying attention and hurrying...

Sorry! I do not want to be "that guy" that mentions the one insignificant flaw in a beautiful design.
I assumed you knew more than I do.....that you had one specific need that made it a requirement.

You just need to spin it as "feature", not a bug.
We need to get the marketing folks on it....I blame them really!

I am VERY glad you shared it.
Your projects are high-class!
Please share more of what you do!!!!

-brino

Last edited:
Hello, this is my first post and really like some of the work and idea's of others and ive borrowed many of them :) I needed a steady for my 10L, so I cobbled this together...

Very nice work! I agree with Brino its a design feature not a mistake! Looks perfectly functional and that's what counts especially if the intended outcome was achieved. :encourage:

I had to look 3 and then 4 times to see what the "hinge thing" is. It doesn't effect the use, and doesn't detract from a really nice tool. If the OP didn't mention it, I bet most (like me) wouldn't have noticed.

Personally, when I saw it the first time I assumed he made it that way intentionally so it would not open and hit his chip guard.

I haven't yet used the one that came with my lathe but I thought the purpose of the hinge was to flip the top out of the way for installing really long stock, without having to remove the TS, to slide the steady over the end of the work piece. Looked intentional to me and really nice work too.

Personally, when I saw it the first time I assumed he made it that way intentionally so it would not open and hit his chip guard.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it..:) still don't know how I screwed up...had it all laid out, but some how the finger layout ended up on the wrong side.:)

That's my story and I'm stickin to it..:) still don't know how I screwed up...had it all laid out, but some how the finger layout ended up on the wrong side.:)

Actually, if you can't live with it that way I'd think you could just cut another "V" in the base, should still work.

yep, I could do that, but I wanted the fingers outboard.. so i'll live with it :) Also I would like to thank everyone for being so kind..Nice to see a group like this..I have other things I could show, but they are more for my shooting hobby which would probably have to go into another forum? things like barrel and action fixtures, micrometer die tops, reamer stops, stuff like that...Again thanks for all the compliments...

Back