Shop-made Ball Turner - with a Question

Getting a hexagonal pocket in the end of a hardened screw ... sounds like an ideal task for an EDM (if you have one) ;)
Nope. I don't have one of those. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what one is. Never seen one. Never heard of one. Never used one. Never even watched a youtube video on one. The closest thing I can find by googling 'EDM' is 'Electronic Dance Music'. Even the name sounds oxymoronic to me. And, for the life of me, I can't begin to imagine why learning how to Moonwalk is going to help me drill a hole into the end of a case hardened screw. I obviously have a lot to learn about machining.

But thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Terry

Good one! Moonwalking is definitely not applicable to what we do.

The "EDM" I meant was Electrical Discharge Machining, also known as spark erosion. Just for fun, here are a couple of links:

I've purchased Ben Fleming's book and the printed circuit board he's designed (second link). Right now I'm thinking about whether I can justify the time/space/cost of building one, versus how often I'd need it.

Reactions: tjb
Good one! Moonwalking is definitely not applicable to what we do.

The "EDM" I meant was Electrical Discharge Machining, also known as spark erosion. Just for fun, here are a couple of links:

I've purchased Ben Fleming's book and the printed circuit board he's designed (second link). Right now I'm thinking about whether I can justify the time/space/cost of building one, versus how often I'd need it.
Now, that makes a lot more sense than Moonwalking! I suspect that's a good bit more involved than my immediate need, but it sounds interesting. If you choose to pursue it, I suspect many of us would like to follow a thread on the build.

Thanks for the lead.

Regards,
Terry

Back