Shop Made Air Cleaner.

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
This is a really simple project that your lungs will thank you for. All you need to do is find an old furnace squirrel cage fan and motor. Then build a box around it, and make and attach a slot for furnace filters, cut an outlet hole and attach a grate, easy peasy! Here's some picks of what I came up with, it works really good. I have forgotten to turn it on, start sanding away and look up and the shop is all cloudy with dust, turn the air cleaner on and in about 15 minutes the air is clear. I sized it to take the same filters that my furnace uses to keep things simple, and I always buy them in multi packs anyway. When the outer filter becomes caked I just vacuum it of with the shop vac and the round brush attachment. This can be done many times. I use the middle grade of filters, not the cheap ones and not the top of the line ones either as they will plug too fast.

This is the finished air cleaner, box is just 3/4" plywood screwed together. All you need is a box for the switch, a switch, some wire, and some shielded conduit.
7-6-shop-004.jpg
Here you can see the slot for the double furnace filters, I used the same size as my furnace. You can also see the grate that i installed to cover the exhaust side of the fan. I positioned it so that it circulates the air in a circular motion in the shop.
7-6-shop-005.jpg
Here you can see the opening on the intake side, you want this to be big for more surface area for the filters.
7-6-shop-006.jpg
The old repurposed furnace squirrel cage fan. This thing will move a lot of air, It will recirculate the air many times per hour in your shop. I'm going to guess my wood shop sq ft at about 500, clears the air very quickly.
And it was cheap!
7-6-shop-007.jpg
Here you can see the slot for the filters better. And the exhaust hole is the same size as the fan exit chute. The grate is a little big but it's the only one I could find to cover the hole, lol.
7-6-shop-008.jpg
I just keep it under my work bench, works great there when I'm sanding. You could also hang it from the ceiling over your bench and out of the way. Being that the box is wood you can attach or hang it with just about any fastener, hook, screw, chain, boards, etc.
7-6-shop-009.jpg
This thing works very very good, it was cheap and easy to build, a weekend day project. What do store bought air cleaners cost? A couple hundred bucks easy. I had most of the stuff on hand for this project, even the plywood scraps. I think the only thing I went out and bought was the exhaust grate, lol. I hope you guys that do wood working make one of these, your lungs will thank you. Heating and cooling shops almost always have the fans and motors available, I garbage picked mine!

Thank you Greg for sharing the air cleaner with us.
I'm going to shamelessly steal your method....:D

I made two units kind of on the same order but made them with box fans. Don't know how much air they really change out but really helped with the dust when wood working. I still use them when in the shop just to keep fresh air moving. They were very inexpensive to make and do a good job. At that time I never thought of furnace fans, I use furnace fans to help move air to the outside when needed.

Chip maker, I used box fans with filters bunjied to them on my bench when I was sanding. It's an effective method. But the amount of air these furnace fans move around is impressive. Since I placed this air cleaner under the bench in the shop I only use a box fan to cool off now, lol. I run the cleaner whenever I'm in the shop running any kind of machine, it captures what the dust collectors don't.

When you're in a basement shop that setup sure is nice to have going.
I had a double squirrel cage fab'd up similar to yours, but it went missing somewhere during the the moves over the years.

Just thought I would add these photos so you get the idea of what I had made for these fans. Also shows the furnace fan set up to vent outside if needed. The box fans are in different areasIMG_0003 Standard e-mail view.jpg IMG_0004 Standard e-mail view.jpg IMG_0005 Standard e-mail view.jpg IMG_0006 Standard e-mail view.jpg

Back