Administrator
Show us your homemade jib cranes:

jib1.jpg

jib2.jpg

100_0993.jpg

100_1000.jpg

:tiphat:Nelson

100_0993.jpg 100_1000.jpg jib1.jpg jib2.jpg

Here is the jib that I built for my shop. The jib rotates about 270 degrees on pipe sleeves (no bearings). I have the ability to rotate the jib under a monorail that runs the length of the shop. I try to minimize heavy lifting when possible.

David

shop crane 002.jpg shop crane 001.jpg

Not a jib more of a mini gantry. Built from scrap I had laying around for a single job, but it turned out to be useful enough to keep around.

gantry.jpg

gantry.jpg

gantry.jpg

Mark,

I love that. I would like a scaled down version for my shop in the basement, just to lift heavy things up and clear of things.

I don't weld (yet), and I see you have some bolts used. Would it be possible to build something similar (scaled down) without welding?

Nelson

Nelson,

Thanks, I'm not sure how much more you could scale it down and still have it be useful? It works in my shop but I have high ceilings, a good amount of open space and an attached barn. It could be a real pain in a tighter space. You also need to find a home for it when it is not in use.

The mini gantry was only an hour or so worth of work. The tools used were a cold saw, welder and a drill press. If you did it without welding it would be a lot more work. You would need to think about what size fasteners to use and how they are being loaded. I am not close to being a real welder but, learning to weld “good enough” is not a big deal, especially if you are using a good wire feed and an auto darkening helmet.

Well, I am going to hook up a lifting setup to a doubled joist as per my thread on here, but, a stand-alone gantry
that goes above the machine would be really nice for lifting things on and off the machine, like motors, heads, vises, etc.

I don't have any welding capabilities yet, so it would have to be drill-and-bolt type construction.

Nelson

When my shop was in my basement I remember using a couple of lolly columns to hold a pice of I beam to rig a temporally gantry.

Good luck.

Show us your homemade jib cranes:

View attachment 31655

View attachment 31656

:tiphat:Nelson

I see Nelson uploaded pictures of my jib crane that I've built from another site. No biggie! I have two of these in my shop and one more to build one of these days.

Just so If anyone wants to know, they were built to handle no more than 300 lbs. For convience, I have a 1/2 ton chain fall on one of them, knowing it won't handle the load of the hoist.

If anyone wants more details, let me Know.

I think I've posted these before, but here they are anywho.

crane for mill s.jpg crane1s.jpg

Back