Shop Fox M1112 not as described, should I send this back?

Thanks to everyone for the information.

I am now waiting to see what bibbtoolandcutter has to say prior to making a decision. I have been employed in customer service in the past and I know that sometimes you need to get a manager/etc. involved to be certain you are not simply dealing with an employee that is misinformed or too lazy to do their job. It happens.

As for the stand here's the deal, the factory stand is too tall and too shallow imo. I'm 5' 7" and its about 4 inches too tall for me. But its the shallow depth I'm concerned with, if its not bolted flat to the concrete it would tip over in an average earth quake. If you put leveling pads on the stand its even more shallow by several inches. So I'm already planning to build my own stand that's a bit lower and quite a bit deeper.

I am sure that this would prove to be very helpful to others, even if not for myself, should I decide to go forward with the return.

And another thing about that factory stand...its not easy to clean or retrieve parts from the rear or underneath. Ideally the chip pan would be much lower like on the G0509G. Remember you may have multiple cables laying in the shallow chip pan tangled up in a hairball of long stringy curled chips, e.g. DRO and light cables. I was fishing parts out of that mess yesterday.

Chip,

If there really is a $500 difference between the pricing of the steel and cast iron stands, ask for a $500 credit to be used for accessories. A win, win, you have a machine that will do the job and be able to get the goodies that you will need now instead of when the budget allows. Just a thought,

Mike

My Grizzly G0709G has a welded steel stand. I haven't mic'd it, but it probably is made up of 1/4" plate. I think it is more than sturdy enough, and a cast iron stand (unless it was a one piece like on the G0509G or PM1440HD) wouldn't really be an upgrade.

tmarks look inside the cabinet door on your stand, my door was vibrating the other day and I opened that door and noticed that it was only tack welding on the inside.

tmarks look inside the cabinet door on your stand, my door was vibrating the other day and I opened that door and noticed that it was only tack welding on the inside.
Yeah, the welding on mine isn't the best. I wouldn't describe it as just tack welded, but the welding is not continuous.

maybe that is why they don't put hinged doors on it....hoping you don't notice.

I haven't noticed any vibration problems with the base. You could take a sack full of sand and throw it in there to add a little weight and change the resonant frequency.

I doubt you'll get any help from your credit card co. on shipping costs being transferred to the shipper. I ordered something off of television(That's the LAST time I'll EVER order from a TV ad!!!) They sent me FOUR units,which really ran the cost up. I ordered only ONE unit. All the credit card company would do was advise me to return the units. That cost me $60.00 total in shipping. just to get a look at the items. The jerks were probably banking on the average consumer being too complacent to bother returning the 3 unwanted items.

The name "bib" being included in the name of the company makes me suspicious that Ali Babin,a well known rookster(I think),might be involved in the company your lathe came from. He or someone with a very similar name is well known on another forum as being someone to stay well away from. I'm being careful here to not directly slander his name,you understand. I'll say that there is another dealer with a very similar name who rebuilds Hardinge lathes and is quite o.k.. I doubt the Hardinge rebuilder sells Shop Fox machinery.

Anyway,I think you are out of luck getting them to pay for return shipping. Shop Fox stuff is no better than anyone else's Chinese machinery. Just another name someone dreamed up to sell the same old stuff.

DO let us know how you do on this deal. And,good luck.

BTW,My Taiwan made 16" 1986 Grizzly lathe has a 1/4" thick welded stand. It does fine as long as it is insulated from the concrete floor. It practically "knurled" the work before I accidentally isolated it from the concrete by driving oak wedges under it while leveling. Now it sits on rubber Mason machine pads. You might well bear this in mind when setting your lathe up. I also isolated the motor from its mount with rubber "donuts" I got from an auto supply place. I think they had something to do with mounting Volkswagen mufflers. Isolating the 1 phase motor did no good though. It was isolating the lathe from the concrete that magically made the vibrations vanish.

My Shop Fox M1112 delivered last week. Now that I have found the time to look all my parts over it turns out that they shipped me the lathe with a lighter weight fabricated steel stand rather than the cast iron version that is listed in thier owners manual, and shown in their website pictures.

It seemed like it might be a case of mistaken delivery so I contacted a rep at Shop Fox and after they changed their story a couple times I was eventually told that the steel stand I received was all they have. My first thoughts are that selling something with such a significant change in specification without making people aware is false advertising whether intentional or not. I'm strongly considering sending it back, and if so it will be on their dollar.

My question is; do the more knowledgeable people here think that a steel stand is equal to a cast iron version?[/QUOTE

11:29 PM 4:50 PM Dear Chip

I well understand your lathe problem. I would demand that they "Make It Right" or send it back. Any distributor that is "worth their salt" would be very wiling to make things right. Recently I purchased a #4 lathe center, from an Asian supplier, for my lathe & it was defective ( radial play of the center) and I sent it back. Subsequently I ordered a #4 center from Grizzly Machine - a few more dollars but very much worth the increase. Center came in & it is perfect. Years ago I was talking to a Grizzly agent about quality & he stated that they have their own Quality Control engineers "on Site " in foreign countries to maintain quality.

Any questions please feel free to respond to this web site,

Kindest Regards, jbollman:))

Back