Shop Class as Soulcraft

This is a good book- kind of a moral compass- but like all things there are some quirks to it... the author only works on imports and nothing domestic- and his shop is now closed (couldn't find him when I went to Richmond last fall for a weekend with the wife)... the concepts are solid and based in a very UNdeniable self truth that many machinists and garage crafters "get"... I heard one person put it more eloquently than me so I will quote them:

"The problem isn't the American Dream... its how to wake up from it and get your feet back on the ground"

Yep I read it, he gets into some pretty high-falutin' philosophising at times; so much so that in some chapters I really couldn't figure out what the **** he was talking about.
But an interesting book in the vein of "Zen and the art of MM"
He has a sequel too, haven't read yet.
Mark S.

Read this a while back. Many, many thoughts come to mind - which I think is a sign of a good book.

I liked it but thought to myself...this guy can afford to be able to take the time to write this. At the time, it seemed to me to be the beginning of the modern hipster trend where people started to be willing to pay good money for a CNC engraved bamboo cup holder.

Then last week I met some "youngsters" half my age (I'm 42) that charge $300 for a custom bar stool! I DON'T get it, but I suppose that there are a lot of people out there willing to pay for that sort of craftsmanship. Then I think - I can get a lathe for $300! And wonder what the hell is wrong with this world?!

I have to say, Crawford's writings left an impression on me and in a very small way - re-enforced my desire to make things. However, my most recent thoughts about the trades:

1) I really like growing a business so people with trades have an opportunity to work,
2) But damn, sometimes, they make it easy to want to automate.

Crawford is definitely speaking to the "Maker" millennial generation. I like the way he thinks, but I've got millennial tradesmen working on my team - and sometimes I wonder if they think their trades are based on science or do they just think the rest of the world is ignorant of welding, machining, etc.?

I wish self-education was a more common desire.

I've got millennial tradesmen working on my team - and sometimes I wonder if they think their trades are based on science or do they just think the rest of the world is ignorant of welding, machining, etc.?

I wish self-education was a more common desire.

vtcnc,
I'm not suggesting that I'd be any better than your current hires. But, I did have to pause and wonder what the commute time to Vermont from Minnesota might be...

Daryl
MN

vtcnc,
I'm not suggesting that I'd be any better than your current hires. But, I did have to pause and wonder what the commute time to Vermont from Minnesota might be...

Daryl
MN

Daryl, this time of year? See you in the spring!

Would do almost anything to get into a trade. I've been trying a while. Very difficult to get in. I'm a journeyman now but I don't consider my job a skilled trade.

vtcnc,

Daryl
MN
As I hope, a Kindred Spirit, I have long considered fine work a form of
worship; fine, inspired tools a step in our Progress,and an obligation to
pass on our work and bits of discovered wisdom to our Inheritors
.........BLJHB.

Check out "Punching out: one year in a closing auto plant" by Paul Clemens. Highly recommended.
Mark S.

Back