Shizouka An-s Build

search ebay - my best friend - for laser displacement sensor
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...l1313&_nkw=laser+displacement+sensor&_sacat=0

They come in all ranges and resolutions, how much would you like to spend?
mine has a range of 40 mm with an accuracy of 0.1mm, got two for $50 way back when. This one won't do the image of a coin, for example. You can buy ones that will do this.

Laser sensors show an edge as a ramp the width of the laser beam. Pruning all this crap out is the issue with lasers.

Karl

Last edited:
The tool changer is ALIVE!!!!!! Have it working in full auto. Now to get Mach3 to give it a tool number to pick,

Jim
It looks like you really have the timing worked out on that change routine! It looks like there is a millisecond between when the tool drops in the bucket and the turret starts to move. Perfect. Did you retain any of the original adjustments for the timing or is it all done in software? Mine has a series of cam operated micro switches under a metal box on top.

I like the routine that seeks the closest direction to the tool.

Now for the Mach handoff!

JimS

The timing is pretty simple. I'm using the original limit switches and the pressure switches on the clamp. In this case, as soon as it has the Clamp_Is_Open signal, it runs the turret to the next tool position.

Well another milestone. Alloy connected the last of the wiring (we think) yesterday. All of the knobs, buttons, relays do what they are supposed to. The spindle runs, the tool changer works, the MPG works, and it runs G-code just like it's supposed to! The mechanical is done, so now it's more software time. I have everything working except the variable speed drive code, which I haven't even started on yet, I'll get that done this week. Then comes the fun of interfacing with Mach3. I've played with it a little bit, and what I have done so far has been a bit frustrating.

If anybody here knows anything about interfacing Mach3 with Galil, PLEASE jump right in. I have Mach3 and Galil talking to each other and am able to run G-code from Mach3, but I need to understand how the messaging works between them.:headache:

Jim told me he works for food, gonna have to get some of those captain crunch goodies at taco bell for him along with the steak chalupa I get him for lunch :)

Alloy got me a couple of those. They are really good, nice & gooey :encourage:.

Last edited:
Jim, I'm extremely well versed in Galil and have many year's experience in factory automation. I even made four Japanese GMfanucs talk to an Italian PLC (Siemens) once. And the same system had to talk to a dozen Parker compumotors and twenty Allen Bradly mold machine controllers.

I know almost nothing about Mach internals. If you can't find better help, send me the docs you have and the trials you've made. When I'm stuck, Ive found having somebody to bounce ides off can be helpful.

Of course, if you can find somebody that already knows how; that would be FAR better.

Karl

Karl, like you , I have been doing factory automation for years and have worked with just about every PLC and communication protocol there is. The Galil end is cake, but Mach3 doesn't use any normal industrial conventions. What I really find interesting is there is a messaging function built into the Galil plug-in for Mach3, but no instructions on how to use it or call a message.

What I really need is one example of send a message out and get a message back. I just need more time to wade through the documentation and programmers references.

Karl, like you , I have been doing factory automation for years and have worked with just about every PLC and communication protocol there is. The Galil end is cake, but Mach3 doesn't use any normal industrial conventions. What I really find interesting is there is a messaging function built into the Galil plug-in for Mach3, but no instructions on how to use it or call a message.

What I really need is one example of send a message out and get a message back. I just need more time to wade through the documentation and programmers references.
Jim
It might be worth posting at the "VB and the development of wizards " place on the Mach forum. There may be some clues in previous postings there. Too bad the Mach/Galil doesn't answer your questions.
Like I mentioned a while back, the only thing I have ever seen about controlling the tool changer is with either a VB script or a Mach "brain".
JimS

Hope you don't resent too much advice from the cheap seats....

http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/VBScript_Commands.pdf

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12730.0;attach=17795

I assume you know these. The first had examples of file I/O. A lower tech suggestion, have mach write a string to a file and then wait until its value is changed. Mach only needs to know "program complete". Then run a loop in Galil reading this file, and act on its content, and then change the file.

No where near messaging., you'll have to allow for sharing violations, but should work.

This advice is worth what you paid for it.

The tool changer is ALIVE!!!!!! Have it working in full auto. Now to get Mach3 to give it a tool number to pick,

Jim,

were you able to get mach and the galil to play nice?

i just happened across this forum yesterday in search of something else.

I have my both my SX3 bench top mill with a traic atc, a BP 308 VMC, running the DMC4080, working well with mach3. tool changes are sweet, trouble free.
my vmc only has an 8 station atc, i have mach uses them as slots, where as it can then track 256 tools. each slot has a userled, dro assigned. click on slot1, insert 23. mach will then see the m6t23 and locate it in slot 1.

there are many ways to get the information from mach to the galil. if you are using the galil soley to run the atc, use the screenset editor, create some userLED, userDRO;s for your tools. use the dro for current tool, and commanded tool, send those thru the plugin custom notify table to the galil,

seen it done also for atc with few tools, that they use the extended i/o on the galil. each tool is assigned one input, output.

can be done by modbus as well

you will need a macro set for mach to use/ follow and run on that does the tool changing internally with in the program.
how extensive that is will be determined by how much of it you have the galil doing. if you have a strong error control built into the galil, that can trigger an estop for a misloaded tool, missing tool, atc fault etc. the macro set can be small simple and sweet. bascially useing it to pause mach for the tool change, request a tool, wait for the galil done bit to say it completed. and return to machining.

Back