Shizouka An-s Build

Still have a few I/O left. But the wiring is done so no problem.

The PLC portion is the fun part. Now I just need to figure out how to make Mach3 trigger the various sub-programs to run the tool changer and the spindle.

Last edited:
Still have a few I/O left. But the wiring is done so no problem.

The PLC portion is the fun part. Now I just need to figure out how to make Mach3 trigger the various sub-programs to run the tool changer and the spindle.

I/O, you're wrong there. Creeping elegance hasn't set in yet. (my term for the customer asking for just one more thing - again and again)

I really want to see the detail of how you get Mach to talk to Galil. My take on Mach2, it just couldn't do this. So, I dropped BIG BUCKS going to a control that could.

I can add more stuff? Cool :)

I did just buy a digitizing probe/tool presetter. And I'm looking at a 4th axis.
But we had already planned for a 4th.

Hmmmm, what can I add???

I can add more stuff? Cool :)

I did just buy a digitizing probe/tool presetter. And I'm looking at a 4th axis.

Hmmmm, what can I add???

Just remember you have to wire it in! ;) I'll make sure it goes on that Galil I/O board:grin:

Everything comes with a price, but it's a small price to pay for more cool toys to play with.

Gotta go, eBay here I come :)

I can more stuff? Cool :)

Hmmmm, what can I add???

For sure the tool presetter, no machine can live without that.

You can use that tool presetter input for a hole center routine. Just locate the touch probe anywhere inside the hole and tell the machine to find center.

Surely, Jim has that jog pendant with the MPG running.

I assume you have a generic output to a 110 volt plug and then an Mcode to turn it on/off. You find a ton of uses for that.

Another that turns air on/off is very useful. I use this to open/close a pneumatic part vice.

I can't live without my laser probe. Now you have a poor man's CMM.

You have asked Jim to write a rigid tapping program? This doesn't even need any I/O.

I could add more but Jim may have me banned from this forum :)

For sure the tool presetter, no machine can live without that.

You can use that tool presetter input for a hole center routine. Just locate the touch probe anywhere inside the hole and tell the machine to find center.

Surely, Jim has that jog pendant with the MPG running.

I assume you have a generic output to a 110 volt plug and then an Mcode to turn it on/off. You find a ton of uses for that.

Another that turns air on/off is very useful. I use this to open/close a pneumatic part vice.

I can't live without my laser probe. Now you have a poor man's CMM.

You have asked Jim to write a rigid tapping program? This doesn't even need any I/O.

I could add more but Jim may have me banned from this forum :)

You are giving me a headache! :headache:

Wow great ideas! Keep them coming. If Jim bans you I'll speak to Nels and make a donation to get you back on :)

On the Fadal's I run at work we have switched 110v plugs for flood and mist coolant, but those are already on the pendant controlled by lighted buttons. I was thinking of adding a non switched 110v plug for a work light, but that's easy even for me to figure out.

Yes the MPG is running. Works very well.

Hmmm, a laser probe huh, sounds great. A CMM type of function is what I wanted to do with the probe. Never thought of a laser. Gonna have to check into that. There have been many times I've bribed the guy here at work to CMM something for me. But unfortunately he quit, and the new guy isn't cool. So........ :)

Rigid tapping, I didn't think mach supported that. We have that on the VMC's. I'm running it on 2 machines now.

Jim told me he works for food, gonna have to get some of those captain crunch goodies at taco bell for him along with the steak chalupa I get him for lunch :)

Rigid tapping is a piece o cake with Galil. It has an electronic gearing feature to slave an axis, in this case to the spindle encoder. I also use it to make my mill a poor man's gear hobbing machine. Hobbs go for nothing on fleabay. Bet Jim can have this all programmed up by tomorrow morning :)

I've been surprised there hasn't been more work on mills as CMMs. A touch probe works best for edges, like the outline and holes etc. The laser is light years faster for surfaces. You just need one that outputs 0 - 10 Volt to the Galil analog input. Most do 4 - 20 miliamp, just a resistor to get voltage.

Karl, could you post a link or two for lasers? Sounds like something I need.

Back