Shizouka An-s Build

I'm going to bet you are short on inputs. This MPG is using seven inputs - top bunch. It can be done with four.

Use two ins for axis:
1 and 2 off - X
1 on 2 off - Y
1 off 2 on Z
1 and 2 on A
They make rotary switches to solder up this way.

use the same idea to get speed ranges. FWIW, I just have coarse and fine on my MPG , that plenty and it only uses one input.
Now you only used three.

Jim, If Mach will let you, write the whole MPG thing up in Galil.

Karl

I haven't really looked at the MPG yet. Not sure how it's internally wired, I need to sit down with an ohmmeter and play with it a bit.

You are correct in what you suggest above, that's the same way I designed mine for my mill. I just haven't built it yet. I have the encoder for it sitting here on my desk.

I'm not sure how Mach3 handles the MPG, I need to do some studying.

So far, I have only mapped about 38 uncommited I/O points, still have a few left.

A couple of more parts came in today. Got my tach from Automation Direct, and some switch labels.

The label people are awesome. Ordered them on a Sunday night and got a ship notice at 8 am the next day.

20150401_195348.jpg 20150401_191718.jpg

Got some more done. Ran some conduit from the axis motors to the power cabinet, and installed the cable from the Galil to the breakout boards.

20150418_171620.jpg 20150418_171612.jpg

A bit more of an update, I snapped a few pictures of what looks like a real mess at this point. Alloy finished the conduit runs and started pulling in the cables to the various I/O points. There will be about 300 connections to make. So far there is about 50 feet of flex conduit and about 100 feet of 8 and 10 conductor control cables installed

The power panel. This contains the power supplies, drives, circuit protection and control relays. The rectangular opening in the back of the enclosure will contain a filter. The fans in the bottom of the enclosure will blow air in. Most of the cabling is pulled in now.
IMG_0090.jpg

The tool changer cabinet. Three 10 conductor cables pulled in. The little black things (center) are small relay modules,, each containing 4 relays, to switch the 120V solenoid valves to operate the tool changer.

IMG_0092.jpg

The Z-axis box. Limit switches and Z mag reader in this box, also the manual buttons for the power draw bar will be installed here.

IMG_0093.jpg

The power draw bar.

IMG_0094.jpg

The control enclosure, the brains of the system. All of the low power control is done from this box. A lot of wires to connect in here.

IMG_0095.jpg

The distribution box. There will only be a couple of connections in this box. Mostly it is just cable management just to keep things semi-neat. That is a 2 inch conduit from the control box.

IMG_0096.jpg

The operator pendant. This is the next step, we'll pick up the materials to build the support arm this week so we can get it in place. Then pull a few more cables into it.

IMG_0097.jpg

More to come later, stay tuned!

Wow,this is looking great. Only one comment, in one of the pictures you mention that a hole in the back is for a filter and that the fans on the bottom will blow IN. That seems backwards. For the filters to provide value, I would think the are needs to pull thru them so the fans would be setup as exhaust fans with the air inlet being the filters.

Wow,this is looking great. Only one comment, in one of the pictures you mention that a hole in the back is for a filter and that the fans on the bottom will blow IN. That seems backwards. For the filters to provide value, I would think the are needs to pull thru them so the fans would be setup as exhaust fans with the air inlet being the filters.

You are correct, actually it was a bad description. The fans will pull in filtered air from the bottom and exhaust it out the back through a screen, rather than an actual filter. The fans will be blowing directly on the servo drives to cool them. We did it that way because we are using an old enclosure I have had on the shelf for years and it already had that opening in it.

Got more done today. Jim cut out the front panel on his mill and I pulled a bunch more wire for the pendant.

20150501_185718.jpg

We should have been updating this thread more often, there is quite a bit more work done. Alloy only gets to work on it one or two days a week so progress is a bit slow.

The operator pendant installed and wired in along with the other needed buttons and knobs for the tool changer and power draw bar.
IMG_0198.jpg

Some of the wiring in the tool changer area

IMG_0201.jpg

Some of the control panel wiring is complete

IMG_0202.jpg

The power cabinet is getting closer to being done

IMG_0204.jpg

The stepper drives and power supply for the spindle speed control and tool changer

IMG_0205.jpg

I've been working on the tool changer, we decided to drive it with a stepper motor rather than fight with the original Geneva drive. The Fanuc tool changers are not the best thing they ever built, and have lots of problems, so....

The original TC drive system

20150321_154754.jpg

We were going to try to run the TC sprocket directly with a NEMA 34 stepper, but I got cold feet and was afraid it wouldn't have enough torque so we decided to put in a gear box. And spend more of Alloy's money.

I designed a 16:1, in-line, double reduction gear box that will almost fit in the same footprint as the original system, just have to move a mounting bracket back a half inch. (I'll post the build in another thread) No, I didn't make the gears, I'm much too lazy to do that, good ol' Boston Gear parts.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Sort of in place, I couldn't rotate it into position because the mounting bracket hasn't been relocated yet.

IMG_0247.jpg

In other news, we actually powered some of the controls up today. Had a few of the normal problems, but worked them out quickly, a couple of minor wiring errors, but nothing major and all of the magic smoke stayed in. ! Still have to get the mag scales setup before we power up the motors. And I have a lot of code to write to make all of the knobs and buttons work.

We weren't able to check any of the I/O because of a problem with the computer, won't boot past the BIOS, I brought it in to my test bench and will torture it into submission. It was working, until we relocated the components to the operator pendent. Probably something minor.

More later.

20150704_115903.jpg Godzilla lives!!

ok, not totally alive yet but we have some life in her. I tethered her to my phone just for grins while Jim was in town getting forklift parts.

I can even surf my favorite web site from the mill.

Posted from my milling machine :)

20150704_114845.jpg

Back